Saved goldfish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good that they are at least trying the food. It is much better to treat with food than meds in tank. <Not only is meds in the tank dangerous for the BB, it is also in low enough dose that growing resistant bacteria is a real possibility. In addition, there had been few reports of this actually working in Goldies.>

One suggestion - since the fish is not used to whole food, you might try cutting it into small enough pieces to resemble their usual pellets. They will generally go for any small, pellet looking things falling slowly from the top of the tank (even sand .... my crew is not too smart!), but not any big clumps that they have to tear apart.

And hunger is a good motivator!

Hehehe! I got a new tank!!!! No idea what the exact size is but it's 3 foot, with glass lids, stand, gravel, heater and filters for $65! Picking it up this afternoon! New home for Percy (baby ranchu) so Boo! (as in 'I'm a scary ghost 'boo!'') can have the QT if needed. :)

jsoong said:
Good that they are at least trying the food. It is much better to treat with food than meds in tank. <Not only is meds in the tank dangerous for the BB, it is also in low enough dose that growing resistant bacteria is a real possibility. In addition, there had been few reports of this actually working in Goldies.>

One suggestion - since the fish is not used to whole food, you might try cutting it into small enough pieces to resemble their usual pellets. They will generally go for any small, pellet looking things falling slowly from the top of the tank (even sand .... my crew is not too smart!), but not any big clumps that they have to tear apart.

And hunger is a good motivator!

Thanks. :) good idea! I cut some up small this morning but I will cut pellet sized pieces next time and see if that works.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hehehe! I got a new tank!!!! No idea what the exact size is but it's 3 foot, with glass lids, stand, gravel, heater and filters for $65! Picking it up this afternoon! New home for Percy (baby ranchu) so Boo! (as in 'I'm a scary ghost 'boo!'') can have the QT if needed. :)

Hahaha i thought you were restricted?? 3 ft? Maybe a 40 breeder?

Mumma.of.two said:
Maybe....... Lol! I'm hoping it's 40g! :)

Haha so many cool tanks!! Is this one just going to house percy?

If its roughly 36x15x15ish...id say you have a 40 breeder!

Gboy66 said:
Haha so many cool tanks!! Is this one just going to house percy?

If its roughly 36x15x15ish...id say you have a 40 breeder!

Yep! I was hoping to get him a cheap 20g sometime in the near future but this one came up so I got it!

Mumma.of.two said:
Yep! I was hoping to get him a cheap 20g sometime in the near future but this one came up so I got it!

Cool!!:D pics when possible!

What other fish can go with goldies anyways? Obviously nothing tropical right?

Gboy66 said:
Cool!!:D pics when possible!

What other fish can go with goldies anyways? Obviously nothing tropical right?

No, nothing tropical. If its big enough I'm going to get him another goldie friend. Some keep plecos but I don't think it's a very good idea. Others keep weather loaches but idk of we have them here. I'm going to stick to Goldies.

jlk said:
Hahaha!!!!! You DEF got the goldfish bug!!!!!! Just think....a 40g means you can get Percy a buddy or two! :)

I think so too! I suffer from MTS and MGFS (multiple goldfish syndrome). Lol!
Idk the dimensions yet but I'm hoping 40g!

Mumma.of.two said:
No, nothing tropical. If its big enough I'm going to get him another goldie friend. Some keep plecos but I don't think it's a very good idea. Others keep weather loaches but idk of we have them here. I'm going to stick to Goldies.

Yea, maybe 1 friend and a bottom feeder...it this tank going outside too?

Back
Top Bottom