Saved goldfish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jsoong said:
How much salt did you add? Most Aq salt package insert list the wrong dose for goldies (too little), and so it is not effective.

I am going to suggest that you start a new thread summarizing what is currently happening (ie the current symptoms, etc.), and what had been done to date. This thread is getting too long (and a bit too chit-chatty) to easily find the pieces of info needed to give good advice. This often brings in some new people & their viewpoints as well.

<And you can post a link at the end of this one to direct people to the shinny new thread.>

In about 45L of water I've got two tablespoons of salt.
Ok I will start a new thread with the info. I do agree this thread has gotten huge!

By my calculation that is ~ 30g of salt in 45 l or ~ 0.06% salt concentration.

This is not enough salt to treat goldfish. Depending on what you are treating, you need a salt concentration of at least 0.1% for minor skin infection,to 0.3% for ich & other parasites, and up to 0.5 (or even 0.9%) for some salt resistant ailments.

For short term (minutes) bath & dips, even higher concentrations can be used .... anywhere from 1-3%.

This is a good article from a vet (more for ponds, so you need to convert dosages, etc to smaller size for tanks.)
Salt Treatments: Chicken Soup for Your Fish by Myron Kebus

jsoong said:
By my calculation that is ~ 30g of salt in 45 l or ~ 0.06% salt concentration.

This is not enough salt to treat goldfish. Depending on what you are treating, you need a salt concentration of at least 0.1% for minor skin infection,to 0.3% for ich & other parasites, and up to 0.5 (or even 0.9%) for some salt resistant ailments.

For short term (minutes) bath & dips, even higher concentrations can be used .... anywhere from 1-3%.

This is a good article from a vet (more for ponds, so you need to convert dosages, etc to smaller size for tanks.)
Salt Treatments: Chicken Soup for Your Fish by Myron Kebus

Thank you I will read it now.

I am a bit confused. Is this the concentration to use?
The prolonged salt treatment lasts an indefinite period of time, perhaps even permanently. It involves adding salt to the pond water and maintaining that level of salinity for a matter of days, weeks, or months. This type of treatment is used to treat an underlying skin condition on a long-term basis after another type of treatment with salt or another chemical. The generally recommended dosage is 1.5 lbs of salt for every 100 gallons of water (a 0.18% solution).

Edit
According to this I need:
80g per 45L

Last edited:
I generally use 0.3% & treat until the disease is cured. <0.3 is good for parasites as well.> 0.2 is Ok for most skin bacterial infections, so yes, that is the conc to use for a long term bath. <I generally treat for 2-4 weeks pass all signs of infections is gone, then wash out the salt with usual pwc. Some people keep goldfish in salt all the time at 0.1% or so, but that is not really good practice.>

jsoong said:
I generally use 0.3% & treat until the disease is cured. <0.3 is good for parasites as well.> 0.2 is Ok for most skin bacterial infections, so yes, that is the conc to use for a long term bath. <I generally treat for 2-4 weeks pass all signs of infections is gone, then wash out the salt with usual pwc. Some people keep goldfish in salt all the time at 0.1% or so, but that is not really good practice.>

Thank you again! :)
At the moment he is in 0.18%. So I will keep it at 0.18-0.2% and see how he goes. Would you recommend any higher? I am really starting to panic because today is the last day of antibiotics. :/

Just an update on the other two. They are doing great. :) The tank is growing algae on every single surface but it's slowly being choked out by the elodea. :D Parameters are great and the filters working well.

skiweeangel said:
good news about the other two, and i hope the other one turns around.

I have moved the 40g inside. Charlie, Francis, Percy and Fenton are all enjoying each others company. They finally managed to eat poor Mr Ramshorn snail. Found his shell sucked clean! Lol.

Mumma.of.two said:

I have moved the 40g inside. Charlie, Francis, Percy and Fenton are all enjoying each others company. They finally managed to eat poor Mr Ramshorn snail. Found his shell sucked clean! Lol.

Lol those names are killer

jlk said:
How is everybody doing??

Good! Thanks for asking. :) The moors eye actually seems to have cleared a little! Its still not effecting him at all. All three have grown quite a lot :) The white one (turning yellow!) still had some red discoloration on the top of his tail but the bottom and the other fins have cleared. Fingers still crossed for him. He's still in the 26g tank with about .15% salt. I stopped antibiotics at 4 weeks. My two babies are growing and eating like theres no tomorrow. Percy (ranchu) is developing some black on some scales (normal coloring!) so I'm excited I see what color he's going to be.

Good! Thanks for asking. :) The moors eye actually seems to have cleared a little! Its still not effecting him at all. All three have grown quite a lot :) The white one (turning yellow!) still had some red discoloration on the top of his tail but the bottom and the other fins have cleared. Fingers still crossed for him. He's still in the 26g tank with about .15% salt. I stopped antibiotics at 4 weeks. My two babies are growing and eating like theres no tomorrow. Percy (ranchu) is developing some black on some scales (normal coloring!) so I'm excited I see what color he's going to be.

I am SOO glad to hear everyone is well & the babies are growing!!!! You did a great job with these guys, Mumma!!! (y)

Its a HUGE, HUGE improvement over them being in a tiny tank & horrendous, deplorable conditions!!!!! You gave them a wonderful chance to live a normal & happy life and they did you a favor by infecting you with the goldfish bug!!! LOL! :) :)

jlk said:
Its a HUGE, HUGE improvement over them being in a tiny tank & horrendous, deplorable conditions!!!!! You gave them a wonderful chance to live a normal & happy life and they did you a favor by infecting you with the goldfish bug!!! LOL! :) :)

Lol :D :D :D
Some have to avoid the Betta section of the LFS I now have to avoid the goldfish section! Hahaha! All those tiny little babies wiggling at me through the glass saying 'take me home' is just too much. Lol!

Mumma.of.two said:
Lol :D :D :D
Some have to avoid the Betta section of the LFS I now have to avoid the goldfish section! Hahaha! All those tiny little babies wiggling at me through the glass saying 'take me home' is just too much. Lol!

Correction, you have to aviod both sections all together;) lol!!!

Glad your little goldies are doing well!:)

Back
Top Bottom