Seeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a new tank and I have a tank that's already cycled. How exactly do I seed this new tank to get the bacteria in it? Do I like swish the filter around in the water and add some of the water and gravel?

New 40g. Cycled 10g.

Lokkzer said:
I bought a new tank and I have a tank that's already cycled. How exactly do I seed this new tank to get the bacteria in it? Do I like swish the filter around in the water and add some of the water and gravel?

New 40g. Cycled 10g.

Any seeded media will help...filter media is best since it's where most of the beneficial bacteria live. Are you going to fishless cycle? You should check out the link in my signature. You're going to need a LOT of seeded media to instantly cycle the new tank...so much in fact that it can uncycled the old one. I definitely recommend doing a fishless cycle which will be fast because you've already got a source of the bacteria.

Yeah. I've learned all I can about the cycle. I was just hoping to use my current tank as a seed.

Any seeded media will help...filter media is best since it's where most of the beneficial bacteria live. Are you going to fishless cycle? You should check out the link in my signature. You're going to need a LOT of seeded media to instantly cycle the new tank...so much in fact that it can uncycled the old one. I definitely recommend doing a fishless cycle which will be fast because you've already got a source of the bacteria.

+1

Seeded filter media will really help speed up the process. As eco said, it's really good to do a fishless cycle and with seeded material, it'll go even faster.

Using a 10G seed material for a 40G tank won't have a massive impact, but it will definitely help.

Bacteria sticks on surfaces. So can I transfer all my plastic plants to the tank? There'd be bacteria there no?

Back
Top Bottom