Semi aquatic divided tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I talked a little while ago about putting a crayfish in with my red claw crabs, but now an idea has sparked in my mind.

What if I put a divider in the tank and kept the cray on one side with the crabs and ghost shrimp on the other?

It could work if
(1) you use a glass divider that doesn't allow water through (this criterion primarily depends on your water level for your RCC)
(2) you have enough room on the RCC side to ensure it to be semiaquatic (you can use driftwood to provide places for the crabs to rest out of the water, just be sure to have more spots than crabs to reduce the likelihood of fights)
(3) the cray is given enough room to run around in, and is completely covered by water (hence the water level is important)

I like this idea, and it should work out if the prior criteria are met. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right now the water level is about 7 inches deep and the crabs have lots of rocks, wood, and fake plants to climb out of the water. Is that deep enough for the cray? Since I'll be splitting the tank I might raise the water a little bit and add more land area for the crabs.

I also read that the cray might drown if the water isn't oxygenated enough, so should I put a small area where he can get to air if need be?

That's deep enough for the cray, yes. Putting in a small land area for the cray would work, but so would an extra airstone or similar to oxygenate the water. Alternatively, if you're like me you may find it interesting to take the cray out of the tank a few times a week, as when my brother had crayfish that's what he was told to do (I can't remember why he was told to do that, but it makes sense for that reason). If you take him out, don't remove him too long or he may dry out, and be sure to keep your eyes on him if you have other pets. What my brother did was to take him outside while on his hand and allow him maybe two minutes out of the water before he put the cray back (with the cray never leaving his hand). This can be done in addition to aerating the water or allowing dry spots for the cray to climb up on, and I'd recommend doing both aerating the water/providing spots for the cray to climb out of the water and holding the cray if you want to hold the cray just in case you don't have time one week or in case something happens and you're not near the tank for whatever reason. Better safe than sorry ;)

Also, I just remembered, be sure the cray is in freshwater if you keep the RCC in brackish. It's best to keep the RCC in brackish, but if you do you need to use a glass divider for your tank. Care for both are similar, so you shouldn't have issues keeping both since you already have experience with crabs.

Let us know how it goes! (y)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My red claws are in freshwater. I know they are supposed to be in brackish, but honestly I've had them for about a year and I've had no issues.

For the divider could I use plexiglass and drill many small holes in it since I'm not concerned about the two sides sharing water?

Back
Top Bottom