Setting up 10 gallon planted betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fel

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I recently bought a 10 gallon tank at one of the $/gallon sales. I want to set it up for a betta and some RCS so I want it planted.

I am envisioning a java moss carpet with some large rocks, amazon swords, and maybe some java fern or anubis.

Currently I have bought nothing for the tank but the tank so here are my ideas thus far.

1-Hood : I think I'm just going to buy a standard T8 fluorescent hood and put a 6500k Philips bulb in it. From my understanding all the plants I'm thinking about will do fine in this amount of light.

2-Substrate: I was originally thinking organic soil with some sand over it , however being a 10 gallon tank it might be better and not much more expensive to use eco complete.

3- Filtration: originally I was thinking standard hob 10 gallon filter, but now I'm leaning toward some kind of sponge filter but I'm not sure this will provide enough filtration for a 10 gallon tank. Ideally I'd like shrimp fry to be able to survive in the tank (not all of them).

Anyone have any experience with a tank setup like this? It's my first full planted tank and I'm excited to give it a go.

I also plan on doing dit co2 injection and will do ferts.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I do I do...
Your lighting should be fine for what plants you want although I wouldn't recommend the amazon sword because of the size it'll get to..maybe some cypress helferi along the back of the tank?!?!
Eco should do nicely for your substrate..
I use 1 sponge filter and an aqueon hob with a sponge pre-filter over the intake so's it won't suck in the scrimp babies..
As far as a betta with shrimp(betta will eat your shrimp 60%- betta will tolerate your shrimp 40%)shrimp are alot more expensive than bettas so "choose wisely" (Indiana Jones reference)...
Check out GreenLeafAquariums for your ferts.

sit in silence...

So I recently bought a 10 gallon tank at one of the $/gallon sales. I want to set it up for a betta and some RCS so I want it planted.

I am envisioning a java moss carpet with some large rocks, amazon swords, and maybe some java fern or anubis.

Currently I have bought nothing for the tank but the tank so here are my ideas thus far.

1-Hood : I think I'm just going to buy a standard T8 fluorescent hood and put a 6500k Philips bulb in it. From my understanding all the plants I'm thinking about will do fine in this amount of light.

2-Substrate: I was originally thinking organic soil with some sand over it , however being a 10 gallon tank it might be better and not much more expensive to use eco complete.

3- Filtration: originally I was thinking standard hob 10 gallon filter, but now I'm leaning toward some kind of sponge filter but I'm not sure this will provide enough filtration for a 10 gallon tank. Ideally I'd like shrimp fry to be able to survive in the tank (not all of them).

Anyone have any experience with a tank setup like this? It's my first full planted tank and I'm excited to give it a go.

I also plan on doing dit co2 injection and will do ferts.

I have a 10g planted Betta tank, I did have shrimp in it at one point but I fell into the 60% Betta will eat your shrimp category,

I have it planted with crypt wendtii and crypt undulata red
Amazon sword that gets taken out when it gets too large but I'm on sword 3 now and all have sent a runner out so far so I just leave the small one in

I just took my Anubis out to put on my 29g rebuild

I have had great success with the flora max substrate and no tabs or ferts with just a fluorescent hood from petsmart

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439248646.022982.jpg

As you can see I get good growth for not doing much to the tank

Ps. That's a planted plus I put on about a week ago I can't seem to find a picture with just the hood from petsmart

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replys!

I'm hoping that the moss carpet will help keep most of the shrimp alive.

Maybe I can do something besides a Betta as the center piece? I've always liked pygmy corys would there be anything that would go well with them?

Thanks for the replys!

I'm hoping that the moss carpet will help keep most of the shrimp alive.

Maybe I can do something besides a Betta as the center piece? I've always liked pygmy corys would there be anything that would go well with them?

I have panda cories and peppered cories between my 10 and 25 and I love them, never had any issues with them, you do want a nice sized school with them though

Ya a scool of about 5 pygmies would be very nice.... Can't really fit a school of any other types of corys in a ten.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What about a center piece fish? Would a one or two honey gouramis be better than a male betta? This would give me more companion options, after some reading it even looks like they would go really well with the corys

What about a center piece fish? Would a one or two honey gouramis be better than a male betta? This would give me more companion options, after some reading it even looks like they would go really well with the corys

My only personal experience with gouramis is one attacking everything in my tank, and two dwarf gouramis that carried over something called dwarf gourami disease that I was ignorant about, so they are not my favorite

There are a ton of people on here that recommend them and love theirs though so I am probably not the best source of information, I would just make sure you do your research on them and quarantine them for I think it's about a month(correct me if I'm wrong) if you get any of the dwarf varieties

Hmm if you want a centerpiece fish gourami will work, a single apisto could work,a ram could work, and a lot of work. Just do your research . With those shrimp a centerpiece might have some tasty snacks even if it's heavily planted and lots of hiding spots

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't mind them snacking on them, so long as some of the baby shrimp can survive and not be eaten. If not then maybe I'll just do a small community tank.

I bought a incandescent hood today and put two 14w 6500k CFLs in it. That puts it at 2.4 wards/gallon and I can always upgrade if I need to.

I bought a incandescent hood today and put two 14w 6500k CFLs in it. That puts it at 2.4 wards/gallon and I can always upgrade if I need to.

I spray paint all my hoods and reflectors a flat white. It helps reflect more light. In a ten gallon I had a few years ago I ended up removing the metal back reflector, splash guard and cutting plexiglass to the size of the tank (minus holes for filter and airline) to put on the water opening. It helped keep night time water evaporation from accumulating on the bulbs and hood.

My experience so far is the 10 gallon ends up "feeling" the light more because it is shallow. I put two 13w 6500k cfl bulbs in, some excel, floating plants, no ferts no co2, and it's going crazy.

If you do a small community I'd recommend Otos once the tank is mature (starts showing diatoms or algae).

My 10 gallon planted has a betta and some African dwarf frogs. And pirate ships (it's technically my sons tank).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I don't mind them snacking on them, so long as some of the baby shrimp can survive and not be eaten. If not then maybe I'll just do a small community tank.

I had a moss carpet and a lot of small shrimp with a GBR. The reason I say had is that the second the shrimp crawled out of the carpet it got attacked and died. I think you should add Amano shrimp instead. They are really fun to watch and will survive any carnivorous centerpiece fish. The only problem would be that they don't breed in freshwater.

Looking forward to the completion of your tank!

Your going in the right direction. When I first started it was with a 10g with 2x10watt cfl in good, painted white, flourite as the substrate, and just a hob filter. The sponge will provide enough filtration but it doesn't look as good imo. I also had the same plants and stock you're thinking about. Bettas will eat RCS, but after a while RCS will learn to hide better. I will dig up a pic from my 10g and post it of you don't mind.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the info! I actually ended up getting a HOB filter that's currently cycling with the tank. I'm just waiting for a week when I'm not broke and I'll go buy substrate/plants.

I am also looking for ideas as to where I can find a few large stones. I live in FL on the coast so the only thing I've been able to think of is to check with professional landscape people.

At this point I'm leaning more towards a betta and 6-8 pygmy cories than the shrimp. From what I've been reading if I introduced the cories first and then the betta it should be okay as the 10 gallon has plenty of room for them to coexist (any experience feel free to weigh in).

I was also at my LFS today and noticed they have potted dwarf hair grass? Anyone have any experience with it in the conditions I'll be growing? 2 14 watt CFLs, diy citrus/baking soda, and some ferts( not sure what kind yet).

Thanks for the info! I actually ended up getting a HOB filter that's currently cycling with the tank. I'm just waiting for a week when I'm not broke and I'll go buy substrate/plants.

I am also looking for ideas as to where I can find a few large stones. I live in FL on the coast so the only thing I've been able to think of is to check with professional landscape people.

At this point I'm leaning more towards a betta and 6-8 pygmy cories than the shrimp. From what I've been reading if I introduced the cories first and then the betta it should be okay as the 10 gallon has plenty of room for them to coexist (any experience feel free to weigh in).

I was also at my LFS today and noticed they have potted dwarf hair grass? Anyone have any experience with it in the conditions I'll be growing? 2 14 watt CFLs, diy citrus/baking soda, and some ferts( not sure what kind yet).

Which coast of Florida? I live in the bay and we have a few good places to get aquarium rock at, eBay usually has some good deals as well

I'll check eBay, isn't shipping on rocks really expensive though?

I'm right on the spacecoast

Ah alright I don't know of anywhere down that way, a lot of the rocks on eBay are free shipping

Oh feel that means your like an hour away I think cause I live in the CF Orlando area

Back
Top Bottom