Setting up 10 gallon planted betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on looks and the story I agree. That's very Java moss to pop up randomly in a tank. Someone (fresh) had it attach to their back glass and form a moss wall by accident.

Yeah that's it, I didn't realize it had such an interesting structure, hearing about it I always thought it was just some stringy slimy stuff

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

So my tank finally cycled! It's only been 2.5 months lol. And since it cycled I'm happy to show my new pygmy corydoras!
uploadfromtaptalk1446432264902.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446432222939.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446432288781.jpg

I got 10 in total after completing my fishless cycle. I plan on checking nitrogen parameters tomorrow night.

So not really sure what's going on with my little guys. I had initially gotten 10, the first few days they were all active and swimming around. Now a week later there seems to only be 4-6 left. I know they are good at hiding but I can't seem to find them.

My concern is that they are dying however I've noticed no spikes in ammonia, nitrite or anything other problems.
Water parameters are
pH 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 before doing a 30% wc yesterday
Temp 74 f

I know the temp can go higher but my heater broke and I need to go get a new one.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be happening to my pygmys? The only other thing in the tank is snails

Sorry to hear. I started out with a larger group in my 16g community and had a similar situation. Never did figure out what went wrong with them :(

I found a couple dead in my HOB filter, it was actually clogged with them and some shells.

I did have a small gap in the intake on my HOB so I'm wondering if they went in on their own and couldn't get back. It explains why I'd never seen a dead one until today. If they died in the filter it's possible the snails and little crustaceans could have eaten them

Regardless, I removed the screen and slipped some sponge over it. There's 3 left and I'm going to check water parameters tonight but if everything looks good I plan on getting 4-5 more on Saturday.

Never did find anything "wrong" with tank, regardless I fear all are dead now. And I'm now also having a snail outbreak ...

I think I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and try something new. The betta I got seems to prefer his bucket. I removed my goldfish and put him in the 20 gallon tank all by himself, he quickly found the bridge siphon and swam back to his bucket. This process has been repeated multiple times.

So I'm back to, what do I put in my ten gallon?

Wow it's been a long time since I've updated. Anyway here's what's been happening the last 10 months or so.

I've had a problem getting C. Pygmeaus. Instead I was able to get C. Habrosus at a LFS. But unfortunately I bought some more the other week and they all died and managed to kill 2/3 of the habrosus I had.

Current stock is 3 C. Pygmeaus (2 female) 1 C. Habrosus, my Betta (Red) and 4 Harlequin Ras.

I added some Wisteria a couple of weeks ago and have been doing diy CO2.
uploadfromtaptalk1470716366574.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with the tank and the stock. I'd like to get some more corys but haven't had much luck.

I may try to add a female American flag fish to see if she'll help cut down on some of the hair algae. But honestly I kind of like the look of it on the driftwood it's just the glass and plants I prefer to keep it off of

Looks nice. I just planted my DHG yesterday and gave it some co2 and I swear some parts grew overnight.

I heard if you get a nice group of assassin snails, they can rid your tank of those other snails. I know assassin snails love trumpet snails.

I've actually been manually removing the snails and feeding them to my goldfish.

It's an effective way of limiting the population, and getting some live food for my goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom