Setting up a 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey there Aquarists, Im setting up a 29 gal Fresh water tank, starting with building a stand, but thats a separete matter. Here I would like some advice on stocking it, scaping (live plants, rock, driftwood, etc) and filtering (what kind of filtering wet/dry, trickle?). Hope I can get a lot of your input here, as soon as I get the stand I start cycling so id like to get this moving. Thanks.

Stock and plants are all up to your personal preference. :] As far as filters I'm of no use, I've only ever used my HOB Aqueon 20.

Yes, but I dont really know a lot about variety of fish, so far Ive only been a goldfish man. Is that good enough for a 29 gal?

Yes, but I dont really know a lot about variety of fish, so far Ive only been a goldfish man. Is that good enough for a 29 gal?

You could put 2 in there if you get enough filtering. For standard fish bio-load, I'd recommend an Aqua Clear 50, if you're going to do another goldie tank, then 2 AC50's. Goldie's are really hard on plants so that's something to think about. If you're looking to move away from goldfish, I'd suggest going to a good LFS and look at the variety of fish they have, determine a "centerpiece" fish and consider how big they'll get as an adult. Then pick some small small shoaling fish to accent your main fish.

Oh, and I know a guy that did a really cool upside down tank that you might want to check out :p JK lol.

If you want a really neat schooling fish I recommend Bloodfin Tetra :]

Lol, thankyou for that Mr. Limpet. Im looking to move away from goldfish, dont get me wrong I love mine, but I do want to explore new species.

Skiba I'll look if I can get my hands on them, how many to a school mínimum?

Lol, thankyou for that Mr. Limpet. Im looking to move away from goldfish, dont get me wrong I love mine, but I do want to explore new species.

Skiba I'll look if I can get my hands on them, how many to a school mínimum?

Yep, that's what I'm doing setting up a Green Spotted Puffer tank (GSP in brackish water). Of course the 20g now in my daughters room with fry from our Moors doesn't count :).

Another question, just a Quick yes or no in live plants during a fishless cycle?

If I move them from an established tank they might even serve as seeding material, wouldnt they?

Yes, I was thinkink of transfering some gravel, plants and the big rock from my open bottom we both like so much lol. If I start the plants with the cycle that gives me more time to scape before the fish go in.

Well tomorrow is the day, I finished cycling today and tomorrow I'll be off to my lfs to start stocking gradually maybe start with a school of rasbora tetras 5 of them and something else, just to be sure. I took some pictures and i'll be sure to upload them soon.

Dont know if im looking forward more to the fish or scaping the place. Just kidding the fish for sure.

andresdeo said:
Well tomorrow is the day, I finished cycling today and tomorrow I'll be off to my lfs to start stocking gradually maybe start with a school of rasbora tetras 5 of them and something else, just to be sure. I took some pictures and i'll be sure to upload them soon.

Dont know if im looking forward more to the fish or scaping the place. Just kidding the fish for sure.

Have u scaped? If u are planning on adding live plants I recommend u plant the plants first and let them establish their roots before u add ur fish. Even thou tetra shouldn't uproot ur plants!

Yes I was planning on doing that, but I dont have much time during the week to go to my lfs so I was planning on getting the plants and some of the final stock. That way I could really put some work in this weekend. Do you know where I can get ahold of some scaping plans I saw some online, but didnt convince
me fully.

Photo Update:

My cycle was done so I started setting up some stuff this weekend.

One just filling it up & the other when I tried to get the cycle going faster with one of the bottled products ( think it just turned the water milky for a couple of hours)

Attachments

• image-199972931.jpg
    image-199972931.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image-2965692668.jpg
    image-2965692668.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 155
The only thing is my filter died on me and I had to take emergency measures, tell me what you guys think. I took the filter in me 10 gal and placed it in my 29 gal. Its a elite stingray 10 from hagen. And bought a jet-flo 100 from hagen and set it up in my 10 gal to start the bacteria going in there faster (also my 10 gal was unfiltred for 16 hours) emergency measures!

Here are two more pictures. One shows the first fish to be introduced 5 silver hatchet tetras with some plants, keep in mind this will not be the scaping at all. I'll get some more plants tomorrow as well as an Angelfish.

The other item I like very much is the bamboo plant which I hope will go a long way with helping with the keeping of water quality. The canopy is also an on going issue as Im building a custom made to allow an exit for the plant. Leave comment and suggestions please. Specially on the filtering issue, how long should I waiting for the bacteria to settle in the new filter which is in my 10 gal. I did this way since I consider its a more stablished tank, while the 29 gal has just finished cycling

Attachments

• image-717086925.jpg
    image-717086925.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 174
  • image-1041210041.jpg
    image-1041210041.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 167
Should I wai for the new filter to get seeded before getting the angelfish, or would they be alright in there for 2-3 days?

I would get the tank stable before adding anything. That's a great looking tank. I love the rimless tanks. Is that 3' long? Personally, I would go with rams or apistos over angels in that tank, but angels can work.

Back
Top Bottom