Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its still a fifty fifty chance in the wild they do it on there own so let nature take its course I know it's hard but you have to or it may not be strong enough

You can manipulate egg casings more than you think, the main problem comes from interference with actual development of the animal within. You can actually cut the casing and install an acrylic window to watch/study the development process! ;)

I feed mine squid from Walmart .

The bona brand is good.

$5 for a box.

I soak mine with a few drops of iodine before feeding to avoid goiter.

He is about a foot or so and growing.

Attachments

• image-2179530696.jpg
    image-2179530696.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 109
You'd be better off using the squid heads as a vessel to gut-load iodine tabs or a basic shark tab (mazuri) and incorporating other, better options for feeding in case squid is all you offer :) Solid foods, unless injected with a thich serum, usually won't "soak in " a solution and your liquid simply disperses as soon as it hits water.

Innovator said:
You'd be better off using the squid heads as a vessel to gut-load iodine tabs or a basic shark tab (mazuri) and incorporating other, better options for feeding in case squid is all you offer :) Solid foods, unless injected with a thich serum, usually won't "soak in " a solution and your liquid simply disperses as soon as it hits water.

What do you feed your sharks ?

I'm fairly new to owning one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Is it true not to feed them frozen from a store that is for human consumption because it has a lot of additives and preservative

I keep small sharks, rays, and other marine life for a living (in case you wonder of my exp. :) ). At birth earthworms, black worms, frozen mysis, and ghost shrimp. If I must force-feed it's usually a carnivore diet (like canned dog food). As juvies/adults I feed capelin, shrimp, silversides, squid heads/tentacles, shrimp, and sometimes herring. Sharks can be picky and their tastes as juvies can change as they age. They get a different food item every feeding, at least 3 times weekly.

If you purchase food from a grocery store just look at the nutritional label and make sure there aren't any additives. The best source is by going to an Asian Market as most I've been to offer raw and/or untreated seafood.

checked today.

No additives.

Inno, what do you feed your sharks? And could you post up some pics of your sharks?

What iodine supplement do you use?

"My sharks" belong to my work so I cannot post pictures of them. Post #74 shows what I feed them. I do not use Iodine supplements except on a blacktip I care for, which gets Mazuri Shark Tabs.

Last edited:
Innovator said:
Squid is primarily water based other than the head region (brain and tentacles) and best used as a vessel for gut-loading vitamins. For a newborn you'll prob be feeding portions more frequently (at least 3 times weekly) and can be judged by the size of the outer gut region. Once they approach juvenile stage they can be slowed to maintain proper weight control (you don't want an overweight shark). Sharks really aren't that messy while feeding unless feeding messy/oily/fatty foods since they tend to gulp their meals. What comes out on the other end is another story. I'd perform water changes for a newborn at least every other week due to their sensitivities.

So I just feed my shark live shrimp he loved it and it was cheap is that a meaty food for him it didn't look like it

Back
Top Bottom