Sharp-nosed puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to get a blue spotted sharpnose puffer for my fish only tank. I've got a 220 gallon tank with a passer angel, yellow tang, foxface, flame angel, royal gramma and a few other smaller type fishes. I've heard they can be fin nippers. Is that a real problem? And will it get along with its future tank mates? Will the teeth of this type of puffer scratch my acrylic panels? I've seen that happen with the larger dogface puffers.

I've heard they can be fin nippers. Is that a real problem?

It really depends on the individual fish. Some are more nippier than others. I wouldn't keep them with gobies. They seem to really like to sneak up on them. Maybe they are easy to sneak up on. You have a rather large tank, so you may not have nearly as many problems with the nipping as others with much smaller tanks with or without gobies. Space does help. Same applies about introducing fish to the sharp nose. You have a big enough tank to where you may be able to defy some of the logic that's well known in the trade. I know someone with a 300 gallon stony coral reef tank and he has at least 7 large angels, different species, living together. He's had them for several years. He also has boxfish and an orange spot file fish. Go figure!! LOL. Some of us are lucky sometimes :)

Back
Top Bottom