Shell dwellers wont house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishWorks AK

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 72 bowfront, with live rock lots of sand and 50 shells, plus barnacles.
I have 5 gold occalotus and there are no bullies other than one beusheri, and he's not that bad. But they will not house in the shells, they stay at the top of the water, healthy, and happy
Any ideas?

My multies live about 6 inches from their shells, and rarely go in them anymore, unless to breed or sleep. Check at night and see where they are sleeping

They sleep closer to the sand, but still not in the shells. As for the number of them... These are the high end golds and at dealers cost they still ran 25 a pop, and thats if you can find them, so for now I have to stick with five. Thanks for the help

They really will only use the shells if threatened witch they dont have or breeding/sleeping

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They were being threatened by a Ventralis, but I took him out a while back

And they would not run into shell when threatened? Are your shells big enough for them?

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Shells are plenty big I have seen the biggest of them go inside the shells plus I have a large colony of barnacle shells for them as well

Can we get a full tank shot please? Freakgecko is the one to ask about shellys. Helped me a bunch

I've got some experience with mulitfasciatus (about a year and a half's worth), but these are seriously one of my favorite groups of fish!

I gotta ask, what do you mean "live rock"? There isn't such thing as live rock in a freshwater tank to my knowledge, so I'm a bit confused.

Sorry about no pics yet... Live rock and sand, the same stuff that's in a reef. Only mine was dry (dead). It naturally keeps the ph and hardness at perfect tang levels. And it looks great. Pics soon

My males are 1 3/4-2 inches long. The shells are 25 turbo snails and the other 25 are authentic Tanganyikan shells

Attachments

• image-2845903271.jpg
    image-2845903271.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3360531005.jpg
    image-3360531005.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-689764575.jpg
    image-689764575.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1842214153.jpg
    image-1842214153.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 77
Sorry about no pics yet... Live rock and sand, the same stuff that's in a reef. Only mine was dry (dead). It naturally keeps the ph and hardness at perfect tang levels. And it looks great. Pics soon

if it's dead it's not live :) just FYI

My shellies almost never went into their shells unless they were makin' babies.

Yeah, my multies are NEVER in their shells, unless I rearrange them, in which they MUST investigate every shell lol My only word of advice is add more shells, and move them a bit closer together, create groupings of shells (about 7-8 shells per grouping)

if it's dead it's not live :) just FYI

My shellies almost never went into their shells unless they were makin' babies.

I do as much saltwater as I do fresh, it's all the same to me.
It's so strange every other Shellie I have ever owned (maybe 12-15) have stuck to there shells. Maybe they were the odd balls.

Back
Top Bottom