Shell Dwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefmikeg34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right now I have a 40g Lake Malawi cichlid tank. While doing research for the Lk Malawi tank, I came across the shell dwelling cichlids from Lk Tanganyika. I have been doing a lot of reading about them and now that Petco has the $/gallon sale again, I am looking to get a shell dwelling tank started.
What size tank would be good for 1 species?

A 20 long is a good one to start a small colony, if you really want to go big a 40 breeder would also make an excellent Shellie tabk

I have a 20 gal. long with shellies. Great size tank until they start breeding, once they start they don't stop! :) I have three adults, about 20 difference size juvies and another 10 or so new fry! A 40 gal. breeder would make an awesome shell dweller tank!

I'd do a 40 breeder, withs some Holey rock, so you can do a pair of rock dwellers like julidochromis, and then the rest of the tank is shells for a single species of shellie, the easiest being multifasciatus, brevis, and ocellatus.

Back
Top Bottom