Should i get more lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i currently have a 2 T5HO bulb fixture. one bulb is 10000k and the other actinic.

i would like to keep corals and anemones.

should i add another 2 bulb fixture or will what i have be enough?

or should i just change out the actinic for a 14000K bulb for more light?

you definitely need more than 2 lamps to keep corals and anemones. what are the dimensions of your tank?

you definitely need more than 2 lamps to keep corals and anemones. what are the dimensions of your tank?

its 4 feet wide and 20 inches high.....

ive had a frogspawn on the sand for about a week and half and its doubled in size

it will probably benefit you, but not to the extent you are hoping for.
what bulbs are you using right now? if you change to high end lamps, you might squeeze a little more PAR out of that fixture you are using, but still not enough to keep high light corals.
look into ATI and giesemann bulbs. ATI blue plus and ATI aquablue special are nice lamps that are pretty potent.

Your frogspawn may have doubled in size to look for more light. It did not double the number of heads which. Is a truer sign of growth. You can switch to a 14K from the actinic, but you will lose almost all your blue. Tis will be great for the coral, but you might not like the more brown look of your tank.

If you spend a lttle more or wait to find a used Tek light you will be very happy. A fixture with individual reflectors will put out a very significant amount more useable light than the one you are looking at, which I bet has one rusted piece of metal behind all the lights. It's not worth buying IMHO as you will look to upgrade from that soon.

sorry meant to say it has 2 reflectors, one above each bulb.....

i bought it and set it up

168720_10150358596510567_676325566_16547950_1865471_n.jpg

cant believe how much added brightness there is..... i thought the one fixture was bright, but this is wayyyyy brighter

then you should be ok....for now..lol.
check into those bulbs i mentioned. you'll be glad you did. they are much better than the current lamps.

i dont know if any of the local stores sell those bulbs... but ill check. all i see mostly is coralife bulbs and sunsun bulbs

Back
Top Bottom