Should I jump into Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love gbrs! Too bad they stay so small, and are way too docile for a normal functioning cichlid tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for all your replies!

I'm going to be doing an all male tank. I don't really want to deal with babies or getting rid of fish. I don't mind paying a little more to get what I want.

What about tank size. I preferably would like to get a 55 gallon but could get a 75. If I get a wide 55, wouldn't that be just as good since they prefer length over height? Also, how many would be a suitable amount in each tank?

didn't know there was a wide 55. probably a hard tank to find (and more expensive). FYI, 75 gallon complete setups are all over craigslist. I just got one a few days ago that included the tank, stand, filter, heater, lid, light, gravel, decorations, food, random accessories, and some nice fish for $300. Although 55s are more popular, i think 75s are a far better tank because of the extra floor space.

Maybe there's no wide. It looks like a 55 is the same length as a 75 but the 75 is 5" wider. The only problem with a 75 is that my sink is far away from where I want to put my tank. Water changes will be a little tricky and the less I have to move, the better

Go as big as you can, you'll always want to upgrade. Ive got a 130g, a 55g and a 48g which just about copes with all the cichlids i desire!

Good starter cichlids are Keyholes and Bolivian Rams. Very hardy and peaceful. They do lack colour and the personality of some of the bigger and more difficult guys though.

A good thing to do is to get one of each sort as it generally avoids breeding unless you have two very similar species (ie convicts and sajica).

Suitable for a 55 would be convicts, sajica, blue acara, ebjd, keyholes, rainbow, bolivian rams, firemouth, angelfish, the list goes on. You couldn't put all those types together though of course. I would stick to things that are not likely to get above 6"

You could probably go with a couple of 6" with a trio around 4" with no probs.

A peaceful set up would be an angel, keyhole, bolivian ram, and maybe a cockatoo cichlid and similar (5-6 individuals).

A more aggressive would be an ebjd or blue acara, female con or sajica, rainbow and firemouth. (4-5 individuals).

A 75 would give you more options of course.

Maybe there's no wide. It looks like a 55 is the same length as a 75 but the 75 is 5" wider. The only problem with a 75 is that my sink is far away from where I want to put my tank. Water changes will be a little tricky and the less I have to move, the better

Garden hose my friend. I went to Wal-mart and got a hose adapter for my kitchen sink downstairs and my bathroom sink upstairs (I have multiple tanks). They also sold a $8 25-foot hose that I use specifically for fish. If you're careful you can use the hose to siphon water out and then attach it to your sink to refill.

Back
Top Bottom