Show Me Your Plecos!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a fool proof way of sexing Plecos Bill. :) I guess my long finned Angel is a male. He's constantly finds himself stuck between a plant and a hard place. The only time he is ever begging for attention is when he is being fed. When I accidently overfeed he eats every last speck of food.

Beautiful fish! I wish I had my camera to help identify the Pleco my son gave me. He is about 4" long right now and changes color pattern like a chameleon when stressed. Is that typical of a certain species?

I'm am certain he is a male from Jchillin's description...

Here's a pick of my little guy when I first got (rescued him ) , he has since taken a liking to zucinni and shrimp pellets .
img_768967_0_ba9a2ffa968dafb272d0b95c1c4cb06b.jpg

Might as well toss the monster in.

PlecSide.jpg
PlecFace.jpg

He sits at about 13" long, Gibbyceps

Gibby's are easy to sex. is it an innie or an outie? There is a stump on Males..

And yes Jchillin, They are clumsy, stubborn and even arguementative (tho the silent treatment is usually a female trait) and he loves my plants, Esp. when they are floating :evil: :evil:

I do not have a pleco but I have been wanting one for a while... What is the smallest pleco? I want to put one in my 20 gallon.

I'm in heaven! Lerve the rhino especially, and all the big guys. Oh, and the rubberlip. And the bristly. OK, I just heart plecos.

Hopefully can get some photos of mine tomorrow and post 'em.

Brilliant photos, guys!

I only have the one plec; a little cutey baby Ancistrus Claro (Gold Marble BN plec). I think it's a she personally but that's just me being arbitrary! When it's bristles grow more I will be able to tell for sure :)

Here she? is acting all pacman on the glass (not a great shot, I know, but she is very very timid!)

331754380_44ccc94d51_o.jpg

Jchillin - I like the two pics you just added. It gives a good size comparison between Cliff and the bristlenose. ;0

Great pics everyone! I just love Plecos. If they could live happy and healhty lives, I'd have a tank just for plecos! :D

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Gibby's are easy to sex. is it an innie or an outie? There is a stump on Males..
Going by this description, it sounds like I DO have a boy! If I'm looking at the right 'stump' :lol:. Here's a close up of one of the pictures above which shows there is something there. I don't know if this is what you're referring to though. :)

plecoboy.jpg

thats a good looking plec, plecoperson. I just got a baby bn (less than 1" long) the other day, he must have found a good hiding spot, cuz I haven't seen him today lol.

There are more options then you would think for small Plecos... AFAIK there are Temminckis (Dwarf Bushynose) and Rubberlips+Clowns generally stay under 6", IIRC.

Lemme see if I can get a flattering pic of either of mine...

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
That would be the right spot to look :?

Ask the plec and he'd just say the water is cold.
I kind of figured that was 'it', but I remember reading somewhere that both sexes would have this little flap, but the males would be more obvious. That's why I wanted to be sure. :)

I wouldn't want to anger mine by showing a pic of his "stump"(he might try extra hard to rip up my plants.) but it is not so much a flap as a well.. stump.. Yours looks different then my guys..

Here's a picture taken today of my Clown Pleco who is kept in my office tank. I thought I'd be leaving without a good shot of him as he stayed hidden most of the day. Lucky for me about 10 minutes before I had to leave I looked up and there he was just posing for his picture to be taken!! He's a little cutie! :)

cpleco.jpg

My camera is dying, so I haven't been able to do a pleco photo shoot, but Fred is always up for posing. Tonight no exception--he's about 13" and came to us from a 20 gallon tank in April of last year.

I included some nice detail of water spots, too--

img_782242_0_4e9c897895807b1392c268a7f7efba8a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom