Show off your Freshwater Angelfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had them 5 years. Was told they were a pair. Certainly not a breeding pair

I have lost both angels in the last 3 days. One of them looked very haggard when I took the pic. Like i said I had them 5 years and bought them as adults, so who knows exactly how old they were. The second one looked perfectly fine until its mate died. It passed within two days with absolutely no sign of injury or disease. They had shared there tank with a few loaches and a couple or discus for the past 2 years. Very peaceful tank. I am not one of these touchy feely guys and I don't pet my fish. (A whole other issue) but could of my second angel died of a broken heart? Very sad.

Paxlerod, so sorry for your loss. They were beautiful fish.
I got mine at dime size & paper thin, the LFS wasn t really feeding them according to one of their employees. I just love them!

I have lost both angels in the last 3 days. One of them looked very haggard when I took the pic. Like i said I had them 5 years and bought them as adults, so who knows exactly how old they were. The second one looked perfectly fine until its mate died. It passed within two days with absolutely no sign of injury or disease. They had shared there tank with a few loaches and a couple or discus for the past 2 years. Very peaceful tank. I am not one of these touchy feely guys and I don't pet my fish. (A whole other issue) but could of my second angel died of a broken heart? Very sad.

Actually, it is not that unusual for animals that mate for life, dying within a short amount of time from each other and by some accounts, Angelfish fall into that category ( although many Angel pairs have been created from remaining partners after one of the pair died.) There was just a case on TV where an elderly human couple died within 11 hours of each other after being married for close to 60 years ( if I remember the time frame correctly.) So I would have to say that it IS a possibility that the second fish died from the emotional distress of losing the mate, especially if the tank has other healthy fish in it.
On a different note, you said that you were sold the fish as a pair but they never bred. I had an incident similar to this when I moved my breeding trio of Angelfish from NJ down to S. Florida. It seems that they never adjusted to the new water chemistry to start breeding again. The water they came from was very soft and acidic but the water in S. FL was hard and very alkaline. I was told that they should be able to adjust to the change, which they did for living, but not for breeding. I subsequently bred hundreds of Angels in S. Florida water so it was just the fish's inability to adapt to the change to start breeding again. Possibly, this was what happened with these 2 fish. Did you ever compare the water chemistry from what they came from to what you put them in? That might be the answer as to why.

Hope this helps (y)

Here are my 2 angelfish.

Attachments

• image-2744959875.jpg
    image-2744959875.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 163
  • image-1834358773.jpg
    image-1834358773.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 147
The black one I jest got hope he makes it. But there doing well planing on getting 2 more once I get my 75gallon ^.^

Attachments

• image-1426979547.jpg
    image-1426979547.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2336916708.jpg
    image-2336916708.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 146
Here's my little Angel. She's so smart that when you open the top of the tank for feeding, she darts to the top and swims back and forth. Such amazing creatures!

Attachments

• image-1590268427.jpg
    image-1590268427.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 152
Here's my little Angel. She's so smart that when you open the top of the tank for feeding, she darts to the top and swims back and forth. Such amazing creatures!

All my fish are SUPER skittish, except my angel. When I get close all the other fish freak and my angelfish begs for food.

Can anyone help me guess a sex on these two? They are both a bit larger than baseball sized I would guess (haven't held a baseball in quite a while)
I'm trying to sell them, and will sell them as unsexed, but I've had a couple people ask me about my thoughts on their sex. I'm assuming both female, but would like to get more opinions on it.

Attachments

• image-1535632278.jpg
    image-1535632278.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 166
  • image-3716161911.jpg
    image-3716161911.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 182
  • image-4025782870.jpg
    image-4025782870.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 169
I wouldn't put money on this bet but Gold Angel in pic #2 looks like a male and Gold in pic #3 looks like female. A lot depends on whether these pics were taken before they ate or after. If after, then I go with my standard answer, "YES they are definitely either male or female ;) "

I wouldn't put money on this bet but Gold Angel in pic #2 looks like a male and Gold in pic #3 looks like female. A lot depends on whether these pics were taken before they ate or after. If after, then I go with my standard answer, "YES they are definitely either male or female ;) "

The pics were taken after they ate, but a few hours after, at the least. I may not have even fed them yesterday, I think i forgot because I had one of my zebras trying to snack on bubbles today thinking they were pellets, but anyways these pics were taken last night a few hours after their normal dinner time.
I was kind of thinking they were pairing off because they are always together but I guess only time will tell. I assume they won't breed in a bustling community tank, right?

No, not true. If the fish want to spawn, they defend a section to spawn and beat up any fish that comes into it. Angels are schooling fish so the fact that were together is not really a sign. Swimming together with the male chasing away other potential suitors IS a sign however.

And since the pics were after they ate, I'm going with my standard answer above :D lol

Does anyone know why his fins aren't round at the end

Attachments

• image-490263721.jpg
    image-490263721.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 146
It looks like their fins are getting nipped by other fish. What else is in the tank with them? Angel Fish make good targets for fin nipping fish because of the Angels fins being so long.

Here are some of my babies
koi veil, about quarter sized now. Have had them since even before they were pea sized, by far my favorites out of all the angels I've owned over the past couple years

Attachments

• image-798923987.jpg
    image-798923987.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 134
  • image-4138063972.jpg
    image-4138063972.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 140
Nice koi! I love the colors in the small one ...(the single pic of the fish by itself)

Back
Top Bottom