Shrinp or snail? Or combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am rehoming my Chinese algae eater. And new a cleanup crew. Any suggestions?

I also have a juvenile mochokid catfish(upside down catfish), and some barbs. Will they make a meal of the shrimp?

What kind of algae are you having that you need an algae eater? What size is the tank as that makes a difference.

I would not keep shrimp with the catfish and depending on the type of barbs they might also pick off adult shrimp. All fish with the exception of oto's will eat any baby shrimp they can find or catch. I would skip shrimp.

29g, and originally to take care of algae growing along the glass, And rocks. Now he's keeping it tidy but will soon outgrow this home. So I am in need of a new cleanup crew to fend off algae.

Siamensis algea eaters.. I have 3 in my 29g. Since they're 7cm long, they show low agression on my neons tetras, but that's not a problem, my fish don't get hurt.

Siamensis algea eaters.. I have 3 in my 29g. Since they're 7cm long, they show low agression on my neons tetras, but that's not a problem, my fish don't get hurt.
do you know there maximum size?

Honestly for what your wanting nerite snails and oto cats are both great for this. Nerites don't reproduce in freshwater so you don't need to worry about being over populated by snails. Oto's are great but are delicate due to their capture method (cyanide for stunning the fish for easy collection) which isn't used on all of them but makes it so sometimes you get a good batch of oto's and other times many will die.

Back
Top Bottom