Sick beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmagee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my male beta for around two years now. He is kept in a 2.5 gallon heated and filtered aquarium. In the tank green algae grows on the glass but that has never harmed him.

I feed standard fish flakes, around 3 or so every night.

I noticed tonight after I fed him that he is sitting towards the bottom of the tank, tail up and face down almost perpendicular to the sand. He looks slightly bloated. He will slight float towards the surface before swimming back down, all while maintaining the angle towards the sand.

Any suggestions? I am thinking swim bladder. Please reply quickly, may be serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427081127.030662.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427081150.896248.jpg

Sorry about the low quality

I'm sorry to tell you but on average beta fish only live 2 years in captivity. So if you have had him for 2 years assuming you did not get him when he was a fry he is older than 2 years. So I personally think this little guy is just old and his time is up. Even if you did manage to treat him somehow and make him better than he would probably only have another month to live. Most lfs get beta fish when they are 3 months so this guy has had a really good run. Sorry about the bad news but I don't think there is anything you can do for him.

I believe that this is a problem with the swim bladder. Feed him vegetables. Cucumber, romaine, peas are very good.

Back
Top Bottom