sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmybliss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again,

I started a thread in the getting started forum, but thought I'd ask ovr here as well.

I've had Brock the betta for just under a year. He had been living in a small 1 gallon tank with an underwater filter. This summer it got an algae bloom that I couldn't get rid of. He seemed a bit less active and his appetite was not as hardy as it had been. I decided to switch him over to a 15 gallon. I knew nothing about cycling or anything else, but I knew I had to get him out of the yuck.

I moved him over Friday, then added two platys on Saturday. The fish guy said it would help speed up the cycle. (yeah, yeah I know now) That's when I noticed the white spots on his head. Deciding it was ich, I added salt and slowly raised the temp to 86°F.

Last night, I noticed the platys were picking on poor Brock, but was leery about putting him back in the unheated 1 gallon. This morning I had no choice. The platys had picked at his poor tail enough to be really noticeable. I filled and conditioned the water, making sure to temp match it, then transfered him over. Left for work fully expecting to find him dead when I got home.

I stopped at the petco you pick up a tank divider, but they were out. So I came home with an herbal ich treatment, a syphon, and some new water conditioner. They were still out of test kits.

I was surprised to find Brock pretty active when I got home. Changed out most of the water in his tank, added salt and the meds. He seemed much happier, even looking for food which he hasn't done in a couple days. I soaked 2 pellets in tank water and he ate them both!

Now my questions.

1) should I keep treating the 15 gallon for ich. (heat+salt)

2) is it safe to keep the betta in the small tank? He really seems much happier there. I'm not sure I want to stress him out again with another move. I hesitate to buy him another larger tank, as he didn't seem all that thrilled even before the bratty platys moved in. I realize that means frequent water changes, even after the cycle is through.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the ich but I advise buying a 5gallon kit. They are big enough for a filter + heater. And they come with filter and lid I think so all you'd have to get is a small heater :)

Chances are the platys introduced ich to him which means you will have to treat the entire tank. Someone else with more ich experience will have to chime in as to how long you should treat for it.
As for the 1 gallon it will a fine temporary home as long as you do frequent water changes (daily or every other day) but that is counterproductive to your ich treatment as it will just remove the meds.

NekoOo said:
I can't help with the ich but I advise buying a 5gallon kit. They are big enough for a filter + heater. And they come with filter and lid I think so all you'd have to get is a small heater :)

Thanks. I'll probably do that at some point. I always keep a lid because I have a cat. He's never bothered the betta, but he's really interested in the platys.

tarpon said:
Chances are the platys introduced ich to him which means you will have to treat the entire tank. Someone else with more ich experience will have to chime in as to how long you should treat for it.
As for the 1 gallon it will a fine temporary home as long as you do frequent water changes (daily or every other day) but that is counterproductive to your ich treatment as it will just remove the meds.

I kind of think he had it before I moved him. His water was pretty yucky, and his behavior had changed. I'll continue to treat the big tank though, as it's probably in there now. As for the small one, do you think it will be ok if I just add the meds in proportion to the water is change out?

He seems a lot better today! He ate 3 pellets for breakfast, something he hasn't done in weeks! He's also coming to great me when I walk by, flaring at his reflection and he's begging at the top for food anytime he sees me. :-D

Just wanted to update on Brock the betta. After moving him back to the 1 gallon, he's made a remarkable comeback! He went from laying on his side and showing no interest in food, to eating anything he can get his lips on and flaring at anything that walks by. The ich spot on his head is gone, but I'm still treating the tank. Anywho, I'm amazed and really happy he's doing so well!

Awesome! Good sign. I really wish some of the ich experts would've chimed in but that's good.

tarpon said:
Awesome! Good sign. I really wish some of the ich experts would've chimed in but that's good.

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with myself. I thought he was a gonner for sure!

Back
Top Bottom