Sick Betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad you found Maracyn, that's what I was going to recommend for him.

Doubletails are prone to swim bladder issues, unfortunately. It has to do with the way they are bred and their genetics. The reason doubletails are the way they are is because the genetics mirror the bottom part of the body to the top - thus the double tail lobes and the large dorsal fin. Unfortunately, it can also lead to short-bodied-ness, for whatever reason, which messes with the swim bladder and spine.

This often happens when a clutch of doubletails is produced by repeatedly breeding doubletail to doubletail (compounding and breeding in their various issues), instead of doubletail to singletail (alleviating spine and SBD issues). Responsible breeders will only breed DT to DT once before breeding back out to singletails, and others won't do it at all.

I hope you can get this guy's issues figured out, but genetics may be against him in this case. Hopefully his condition is curable!

He seems a little better than a week ago and I'm pretty sure most of that is from the daily salt baths. He is a little more active and even though he still seems to float more than he should he is usually able to prop himself upright on a leaf or tube instead of just floating on his side. Hopefully the maracyn two does the trick, or at least relieves some of the fin rot and discomfort :) I am still going to do daily salt baths because they seem to really help and they don't seem to stress him out quite as much as when I started doing them.

He seems a little better than a week ago and I'm pretty sure most of that is from the daily salt baths. He is a little more active and even though he still seems to float more than he should he is usually able to prop himself upright on a leaf or tube instead of just floating on his side. Hopefully the maracyn two does the trick, or at least relieves some of the fin rot and discomfort :) I am still going to do daily salt baths because they seem to really help and they don't seem to stress him out quite as much as when I started doing them.

Good to hear that his symptoms improved a little and that you were able to find Maracyn two. If there's something bacterial going on hopefully that'll do the trick. Keep us posted--I really hope you can get him eating again. That'll be an encouraging sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't tell if the betta seems any better than yesterday, but something weird is going on in my tank... The water is cloudy (which the instructions in the maracyn two said may happen) but my java fern has bits if white fuzz on it now o_O could this be the medicine, or is it a different problem?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421639653.523518.jpg

I'm really not sure what that is. I've never experienced anything like that from maracyn, but who knows. I'd keep an eye out and if you see more and post an ID thread.

Figured out the fuzz :p it's no big deal and my snails love eating it... My betta is getting worse though :( same activity as before but now he's losing all his color and sometimes looks mostly brown/yellow... I think after the maracyn 2 treatment I'll just keep doing salt bathes, focus on keeping the water super clean, and hope for the best...

Yeah... I don't think Peanut's going to make it :/ he looked way better a few days ago, but now he's back on the ground gasping, his body is yellowing, and I can see dark splotches in his gills :'(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421979007.074831.jpg

:( I'm sorry. You've really worked hard to get him well and keep him comfortable. I think you've done all you can. I agree, it doesn't look promising. Poor little guy...

Sorry for your loss...and you are very welcome. It seems like he had a good home with you!

Back
Top Bottom