Sick Bichir!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emalou20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive had my Senegal Bichir now for over 1 year in a 29 gallon tank with a pair of veiled angels. Noticed last weekend he or she had stopped eating and was sticking close to the heater at the top of the tank. He had the appearances of ammonia burns so I put it in a QT with distilled water and some stress coat. He had ate some beef heart through the week.

Since then his color and gills look normal but his swimming and balance are off. First his tail sunk and left his head at the top at the tank. Then the next morning I woke up and his head was on bottom and tail on top. By this morning it is completely on the bottom of the tank on it's back but still breathing. I don't understand what is wrong with him

I don't know the current readings on the tank. I had recently done a deep clean on the tank when I noticed him being odd. Again the angels in the tank are doing perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive had my Senegal Bichir now for over 1 year in a 29 gallon tank with a pair of veiled angels. Noticed last weekend he or she had stopped eating and was sticking close to the heater at the top of the tank. He had the appearances of ammonia burns so I put it in a QT with distilled water and some stress coat. He had ate some beef heart through the week.

Since then his color and gills look normal but his swimming and balance are off. First his tail sunk and left his head at the top at the tank. Then the next morning I woke up and his head was on bottom and tail on top. By this morning it is completely on the bottom of the tank on it's back but still breathing. I don't understand what is wrong with him

I don't know the current readings on the tank. I had recently done a deep clean on the tank when I noticed him being odd. Again the angels in the tank are doing perfect.

Fish bloat - swim bladder disease?

Ok. First, TAKE HIM OUT OF THE DISTILLED WATER. Distilled water is missing all the minerals fish NEED! Next, the deep cleaning most likely killed your bacteria, making ammonia. Put him back in with the angels and start monitoring your parameters and do waterchanges as needed. You're most likely going to have to do a fish in cycle.

Ok when I get off work I'll put him back in with them and measure the water quality again.

Bichir is back in its normal tank. Has red splotches on his right side and on rear fins.

current tank stats:
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Last water change was Saturday

Back
Top Bottom