Sick cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsheeler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I'm a noobie. Not sure how this all works yet gotta check it out more later. Help first!

So last night I had a cichlid with slightly torn fins a small fuzzy growth on his side and wasn't eating. He's been going back next forth with food the last 2-3 days and this am he died. I have a 75 gallon tank and on Saturday I built a new stand for the fish. So I had removed almost all the water did a thorough cleaning. Saved about 22 gallons or so and didn't clean the filter. Last week one of them was about to die( before major cleaning) not eating virtually no fins and I took him out cuz the others were picking on him. So he's been in a 5 gal bucket with a bubbler a pipe for hiding and I've given him melafix. He started eating again almost all his fins back not all his tail is back but he's much better. Added aquarium salt yesterday too and he's happy.

Sorry not sure water kind of fish they are. But this one is dark brown with stripes. The new fish that got sick was a peach color with blueish fins and beautiful flailing fins. All the fish are about 2-4 inches except a dasoni I think thats water he is. He's black and blue/purple. He's about an inch or so. Bought all fish at thesame time pretty much. All were same size except he's growing slow. Anyways the peach fish was over 3 inches and last night was breathing but floating all around his bucket and the bubbler was moving him. He was upside down idk if thats his swim bladder or what. His mouth was wide open new he stayed that way cuz he was still like that when I had to flush him this am:( also hewas around 20$ at this fish store in ct. Animal city is the place.

Does anyone know water killed him?If my other fish in the tank might be affected? Watch to do with my living sick fish? Do I need more chemicals? Please help!:ermm:

First off, welcome to AA. Second, some basic questions. How long has the tank been up? Has it been cycled? What are you parameters ( PH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) and what method are you using to get these readings, test strips or liquid test. With this info, we will be better able to answer some of your questions. Also, if you can post some pictures of your fish that would help. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on here that will be more than happy to help in any way they can.

Tank has been up and running 8 months. Fish have been in the tank for about 6-7 months. It's an older tank I had with just freshwater fish from petco. Amazon fish. I haven't gotten the water tested I will do it today. It's usually a liquid test is that better. I don't have my own test stuff. I will try not get some pics up also.

Attachments

• 4079.jpg
    4079.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 3523.jpg
    3523.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 4034.jpg
    4034.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 4036.jpg
    4036.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 75
The liquid test in my opinion, and that of most members on here is the best. Test strips are not accurate. Most of use the API master fresh water test kit. You can get them from Amazon for cheaper than from your LFS. I highly recommend getting one. It is much easier to test at home instead of having to take it somewhere. Do you perform water changes, and if so how much at a time, and how frequently. Also, how many fish are in the tank right now?

there are 14 fish total. 13 are in the tank and 1 is in the 5 gal bucket. i know thats not right but i dont have very much money right now and things are hard to buy.. his bucket stays usually around 80 with a bubbler and wat not.

i was hoping they would mate soon so ive been doing water changes every week or two about 10 gallons or so.

i will try and grab a liquid testing kit also.

i have more pics but its hard to upload them. i just had twins and they scream alot and theres sick fish and a lot going on haha

You need to be doing more changes, both frequency and volume. I would do a 50% change now, and probably at least 25% a da for the next couple of days. With out knowing what the parameters are, I would guess that your nitrates are to high. The only way to lower these is with water changes. Once they have come down, with your stock, i would do 25-30% changes a week. If you don't understand the nitrogen cycle, I will be happy to explain it to you.

The people here have done wonders for my fish keeping knowledge, and I would be happy to pass along what I have learned.

yea if you dont mind please explain the nitrogen cycle.. i did just do over 50 % water change closer to 75 % on saturday do you think i should do it again? it was saturday night. also should i put my sick fish in the full tank. hes doing much better but doesnt have much of a tail but hes eating again and swimming around his bucket. i can try n get a picture of him if you think that would help

ok cool thanks a lot. i will change water right after i can get it tested hopefully this afternoon.

I know they sell the liquid test kits at Petsmart and petco, and I believe they are under 30 bucks. Amazon is cheaper, but you have shipping and you have to wait for it to come in. When you do get the test, make sure you follow the directions, especially the nitrate test. If you don't shake them enough, you will get inaccurate results. If you have any questions about the nitrogen cycle, ask and I will do my best to clear them up.

Back
Top Bottom