Sick corydora...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Came home and did my rounds on all my tanks. Found one of my corydoras in my most well established tank laying on his side. I went to grab him to inspect him and find out why he died, but he swam away from me.

He's now swimming on his side, head almost down. Don't think he's gonna last too much longer. There were no discernible nip marks, my water parameters are perfect, and this particular catfish had been my tank for about 6 months and he got along just fine thus far. The most aggressive fish in the tank is a balloon belly molly if that tells you anything.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with the little guy. He was one of my favorites, and from my experience with corydoras they're pretty tough little buggers.

Couldn't figure out what it was. He worsened and eventually couldn't stay off his back. Other fish started nipping so I chose to euthanize. Submerged him into iced over water. He passed peacefully within seconds.

I haven't had a corydora, but it sounds like he has Swim bladder disorder...
The most common cause is constipation. Has he been overeating? I suggest feeding him some boiled/shelled/cut up peas. after a while he should improve :)
What size tank is he in, and how many fish are in it?

Josh said:
Couldn't figure out what it was. He worsened and eventually couldn't stay off his back. Other fish started nipping so I chose to euthanize. Submerged him into iced over water. He passed peacefully within seconds.

Sounds like bad bloating or swim bladder. Wish I could have seen this thread sooner. Sorry for the loss.

I haven't had a corydora, but it sounds like he has Swim bladder disorder...
The most common cause is constipation. Has he been overeating? I suggest feeding him some boiled/shelled/cut up peas. after a while he should improve :)
What size tank is he in, and how many fish are in it?

IME swim bladder doesn't act that fast. He was fine last night when I fed that tank. Its a 10gal with 2 platys, 1 molly, 6 tetras and 2 glofish. One other corydora. Been established without incidents for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom