Sick fish what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HookedOnFishh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do have another question about a sick clownish I have. Before I go into detail I did not QT this fish when i purchased him a couple months ago. Then I did get a QT tank and a have and will QT all fish before they come into the main tank. My parameters are perfect. So now into what the clownfish looks like: he has had something that looked wowed so I put him into the QT tank he's been treated and came out happily and healthy. An hour later he gets white patches not like ick but more like on the slime coat of the fish white patches and have not really had effect on the fish itself. So what do I do from here? I think it's clownfish Disease. He seems to be swimming normally and happily eating and this did occur a day ago. That's all the evidence I can give he seems not effected at all what are your thoughts?

"My Corals do Better Than Fish."

Sounds like brooklynella. You could try copper based medication, but in all honesty I believe formaldehyde is the only known 'cure' for the disease. If so, it would something need to be treated quickly due to how quickly brook can kill.
You want to do dips in this stuff for about half an hour over the course of a couple days if I remember correctly.

White slime on a clownfish usually leads to a diagnosis of Brooklynella but without a picture to confirm, let's just guess that it's that. First thing is to give the clown a freshwater dip. That will kill off whatever external parasites that may be on him/ her. The following article gives a good description of the next steps. Brooklynella Disease Education from FishVet, Inc.

Hope this helps. (y)

Ok thanks it has attacked a couple f my fish in the past usually before I can treat it. I think now it is stuck in my reef tank, I hope not!

I Dont have any medications like the ones they recommend I can only do a FW dip and treat with some medication with formula in it.

Try to freshwater dip the fish , Simply get a bucket or sick tank you have, fill it half way with R/O or tap water. If you are using tap add water treatment to remove chlorine and other harmful materials, No salt! You must boost the temp warmer than your aquarium and Ph has to be higher.Place the fish in water and let it sit for at least 5 or 6 minutes, The fish will stress but don't panic he's totally fine, Then remove it and place it back in the main tank, You're done.I known this works because I did this with my fish just days ago, My Niger Triggerfish and my coral beauty angelfish had ick spots, did a freshwater dip and they are fine. It's simple if the host can't live in freshwater, The parasites can't either.Good luck.

Is the clown hosting anything as I have seen similar when they try and host something like a cataphilia ect they get stung amd there body produces a mucus until they get tolerant.

Normally with brooklynella it would have died it's not the easiest to treat and as the patches are coming and going I would be surprised if it is that but some pictures will help :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom