Sick Fish with White Bumps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I rescued some goldfish that were left behind by some renters and the landlord didn't take care of them for a while. They were found inside a nasty bucket and the water looked like muddy water. I couldn't even see the fish inside it was so nasty. So, I decided to try and help these guys out since they were free.

When I got home with them, I put them in a already cycled 55 gallon. I noticed that there were 7 of these kind of goldfish and 2 bigger goldfish (pond size). However, a couple of these minnow looking goldfish have these white bumps on them. They are acting fine besides the stress from being inside a real tank (they go crazy when I turn the lights on or off). I have been treating them with some API Melafix for 3 days. I thought it was ich but now I'm thinking its something else because these bumps are bigger than ich spots.

I'm not sure what it is or how to help them. Can anyone help me and these poor fish?

Btw, what are these fish called?

Attachments

• CAM01049~2.jpg
    CAM01049~2.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 99
re

They are acting fine besides the stress from being inside a real tank (they go crazy when I turn the lights on or off).

I have been treating them with some API Melafix for 3 days.

I thought it was ich but now I'm thinking its something else because these bumps are bigger than ich spots.

I'm not sure what it is or how to help them. Can anyone help me and these poor fish?

Btw, what are these fish called?

Sounds like normal goldfish behavior. Goldfish Get "fright" sometimes. If it dosent go away, try to see which fish is causing this fright and put him in a bowl or something.

Melafix is pretty useless.....
I would say its likely fungus, goldfish are suseptible to fungus this time of year because the water was cold over winter.
Unlike bacterial infections, fungus is white and lives on decaying organic material (nasty water) so, keep the tank as clean as can be, and raise the temp if possible. You might try an anti-fungal, the best one i can think of is methylene blue, tho malachite green and Nitrofurazone (furan) would work as well. If you use the methylene, be aware that it will kill Benificial bacteria.
Im 99% sure is that its fungus, it happens to young goldfish alot. As to what they are....their goldfish? if not, they could be Koi carp.

Thank you for replying back!

I couldn't take the dirty look about the tank anymore so I cleaned it last night. I didn't want to mess up the cycle I had with the medications but since you don't think that medicine is working then I will just quit it all together. I don't have a heater for this tank but it stays about room temperature (71-73). Does it need to be warmer?

I will try to get some of that anti-fungal medicine this weekend and see how that goes!

I couldn't find the other medicines you mentioned at Petco. However, I found some of Kordon's Rid-Fungus. I treated the tank with this for about 3 or 4 days and saw no difference what so ever in the fish. Am I using the wrong medicine or is this not a fungus?

The fish seem happy although they still go crazy when I walk by the tank. I've had them for almost a month and they are still scared. They eat just fine and none have died. Do you think this is something they can live with? I'm not sure what to try next since I've given them 3 different medicines that haven't worked.

I can try. It may be a little while though.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hope these are better pictures. It's not easy taking pictures of fish.

Also, this is the fish that has it the worst. The others have at least one of these bumps on them.

Attachments

• CAM01162.jpg
    CAM01162.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 60
  • CAM01174.jpg
    CAM01174.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 60
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400719856.481878.jpg
One of my black Molly fry had this similar thing the other day! I thought it was ick to.
I know It won't help with with gold fish but all I did was place it in a 19l tank with the other fry it was with and raised temp to 27.5-28.5c and added a tablespoon of salt to the water.

The lumps were gone within 3 days and the fry are still Happy as ever.

Try raising the temp abit as I'm not sure of it was salt or the temp that made the lumps go.

Good luck

Hmm, idk if it is lymphocystis or not. If so, there is no treatment and it seems they will live normally with these bumps. Ive had them almost a month now and they have lived.

I will try the salt thing. I tried warmer water and that didnt work.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there anybody else who has any ideas on what to try? I didn't try the salt. I'm sort of afraid to since I've never used it before.

Is there anybody else who has any ideas on what to try? I didn't try the salt. I'm sort of afraid to since I've never used it before.

Do you have a spare bucket or QT you can try salt in? That way if the fish has any problems with balance loss, you can take it back out. I've generally treated for several days to a week, starting with a teaspoon per 5gal to try things, and then next night 4tsp per 5 gall. Then to 12tsp per 5gall. I've done this with catfish as well. If you search on AA you will find dip suggestions or the link below. You could try a dip or for a few days in QT with salt and see if any difference.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Salt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom