Sick of people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uhh ohh, whole notha debate my friend! Why get a husky if you live in Arizona? Why get a chihuahua if you live in maine?! Why get a 10" Oscar for a 10 gal tank? Why..... :head explodes:
Because you like them, and you are an intelligent being that can figure a way to be able to walk a short haired dog in a colder climate. ;)
As for the Oscar, that's more a matter of animal cruelty than preference. Again, intelligence should help out in this case as well.

It's worse with pet chickens. People ask if you're going to eat them when they die. Would you EVER ask someone if they will eat the dead pet they're crying over? Even if you don't understand the appeal of the pet, it's just plain inappropriate.

And yeah, people suck sometimes. Sorry about your fish.

Dogs do freeze to death just like humans. They are not impervious to the cold because they have a thin fur coating.
Tiny dog owner here, if my Yorkie is out in the cold for a minute or even less he starts shaking and is completely frozen...he needs his jacket. It's not cold here all the time, I need a jacket so does my dog.

Also working at PetSmart, this idea that fish are disposable breaks my heart. So many people come in with the attitude that "its only a fish", "if it dies I'll just buy another one, "Oh well it will probably die anyways"...I could go on for hours. Meanwhile I would be devastated if one of my clowns died. I've become very attached to them.

[store] worse place to buy fish look all healthy and get them home few days go buy sick as hell or die maybe just the one in this city

Last edited by a moderator:
heres my take (not that in the grans scheme it matters). my family and friends know that i take my love for marine life VERY seriously, this isnt just a fun side hobby or an experiment. my fish are just as much a member of the family as the dogs and cat. you have to seperate yourself from the majority and not let their attitudes and comments bother you, those are the same people that would tie up a dog 50 yards outside and leave them there all year long. point being : their opinions and thoughts dont matter.

as for the dog situation: i own a Husky.... and laugh hysterically when i get to take him on long walks during the 10 degree weather.... dog actually is happier the colder it is. its insane.

heres my take (not that in the grans scheme it matters). my family and friends know that i take my love for marine life VERY seriously, this isnt just a fun side hobby or an experiment. my fish are just as much a member of the family as the dogs and cat. you have to seperate yourself from the majority and not let their attitudes and comments bother you, those are the same people that would tie up a dog 50 yards outside and leave them there all year long. point being : their opinions and thoughts dont matter. as for the dog situation: i own a Husky.... and laugh hysterically when i get to take him on long walks during the 10 degree weather.... dog actually is happier the colder it is. its insane.
I like you!!! I like huskies! Well I like fish too! But huskies are awesome! Fish are super chill munch buckets! Hey lunch box.. Pass the blood worms:) people without tanks will/could never understand the satisfaction of developing/maintains your own tiny>not so tiny Eco-system, it is amazing and exciting and rewarding and all the bored ones can go for a run or something, maybe walk their rabbit in 13deg weather with that custom fit rabbit sweater they paid 46$ for...

I love having fish there so cool to have and watch them swim eat it's very relaxing after a long day at work I just don't like when these big pet stores use products to make the fish look healthy and fine when there not and you could introduce some fish I your tank next thing you know everything in your tank is infected I also have a bearded dragon that is very cool and chill

My grandpa told me long ago, "Respect all living things, cause God don't make no junk."
I miss listening to his wisdom and wonderful stories. OS.

My friends dont get that just because I can't cuddle or walk my fish theyre still an amazing pet that I enjoy very much. Sure I'll admit I love my Labrador more but doesn't mean fish aren't a fun pet to keep. So i just ignore the jokes and do what I love, aquariums.

I spent hours trying to save our yellow eyed tang. My classmates didn't get why I wanted to rush home from school to check on it. So far all of our sick babies have died except the coral beauty with pop eye. I almost cried when our sea hare, Harvey died.
I'm afraid to admit what we do with our casualties.

I used to bury all my pets. I think I should start doing that again. Make a little fish cemetery. The only fish I buried was my Betta, Henry. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For those people who don't understand why we love our pets , please watch Earthlings.com this will give insight that animals need love too.

Ugh...Earthlings....heart breaking. It stopped me from eating most animals. I know, I know...but baby steps.

Thank you for your compassion towards animals . Please google , " the best speech you will ever hear " by Gary Yourofsky .

It must be ethics night here at AA. I just replied to another thread on the ethics surrounding our hobby. I just saw on the news that here in baltimore, md(where i live) a cop slit the throat of a stray dog. They caught the dog with one of those poles with a loop on the end, then AFTER the dog was controlled he reached down and slit the dogs throat. Granted this guy has some serious mental problems, but the first thing i thought was that hes probably never had a pet. Whether you have had a goldfish, a gerbil, or a thoroughbred racing horse... You gain a certain respect for animals and life in general. I guess my point is that people who have the "just get another one" attitude have never had respect or love for either a pet or an animal in nature. IMO keeping pets responsibly is not inherently evil, and quite possibly is instills a morality that people like this cop obviously lacks. Im feeling quite the philosopher tonight!!

I agree. People have differing opinions on pets and what makes good ones (in PETA's case maybe a rock if its not a "wild" rock lol) . But really doesn't it really come down to how we care for our pets? Research is a key to any pet wether it be a great dane down to some of the smallest inverts we keep in tanks, if we do the necessary research and ask ourselves enough questions to look for answers too ( to the point it seems like obsession to an on looker) so we can properly care for our finned, furred, feathered, scaled friends then let it be. IMO if you lack the basic human compasity for compassion towards animals of all kinds you don't deserve the priveledge or the honor of having the trust and care an animal can show you. So just because someone doesn't understand your hobby/ pet choice just think about the rewards and surprises waiting for you when you walk through the door and view your care, research and devotion in your tank (or whatever else you keep)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want to thank all those who have expressed their opinions and feelings .
I have been VEGAN now three years .
It was easy for me to make that life change because of the ethical reasons of what being a vegan is all about .
Animals are not objects , they to have feelings and a purpose and a right to live in peace .
I'm deeply saddened every day knowing how animals are raised and treated ( factory farming (google it . ) . However by not consuming animal products statistically I am saving about 900 farm animals a year .
I feel better knowing that there are people , like yourself that has compassion towards animals .
Thank you
Veganeer

Those of you who want to know more about being Vegan , google " the best speech you will ever hear " by Gary Yourofsky. Also watch Earthlings.com
Is life changing , that's why I'm Vegan .

Back
Top Bottom