Sick of people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those of you who want to know more about being Vegan , google " the best speech you will ever hear " by Gary Yourofsky. Also watch Earthlings.com
Is life changing , that's why I'm Vegan .

Let's try to keep personal preferences and beliefs to a dull roar... this is an aquarium forum afterall..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I sort of agree with the OP's point but you have to admit, there are some people that take this hobby WAY too seriously.

Admin , please define " aquaria off topic " thank you.
I enjoy reading others problems and solutions , definitely an asset to help hobbyists educate themselves and enjoy the hobby .
I'm under the impression that " off topic " means just that . However my comments do relate to animals , all living things , and fish is a part of that .
If I have offended anyone with my " off topic " comments about veganism . Then those need to educate themselves on the subject .
For the animals sake , I can't say that I'm sorry .
I hope you have the same heart felt compassion towards animals as I do .

Admin , please define " aquaria off topic " thank you.
I enjoy reading others problems and solutions , definitely an asset to help hobbyists educate themselves and enjoy the hobby .
I'm under the impression that " off topic " means just that . However my comments do relate to animals , all living things , and fish is a part of that .
If I have offended anyone with my " off topic " comments about veganism . Then those need to educate themselves on the subject .
For the animals sake , I can't say that I'm sorry .
I hope you have the same heart felt compassion towards animals as I do .

Good thing it's friday;) I like Salad too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For those who love the ocean and all it's beauty and wonder , please help support" Sea Shepard " . Please google and learn more about them .
For those who can take time to volunteer , you can actually volunteer to be part of a crew aboard one of their sea going ships ! How kool is that !
As a tropical fish hobbyist since I was 10 , the love I have for all sea creatures is great . Knowing that Seashepard is there to help protect all that I love , gives me hope that future generations can enjoy what we ourselves enjoy today .

Wish I could volunteer haha mind yiu I think I would have a few different views to the people on the seashepard regarding coral collection haha I find this oicture to be quiet amazing its really a deep picture if you look into it more

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403523958741.jpg
    1403523958741.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 116
Well I support this thread as my dad believes in the "you can get another one" thing it disgusts me. My second betta fish I got because my dad wanted to shut me up when I cried a bit when he dropped his cologne bottle in his tank i was telling him the chemicals could harm him but he said we could just get another one but my oldest sister doesn't respect reptiles the most she says if she gets sick she will kill my lizards yet they died already... May they rest in peace but when they died my sister was saying throw them out already!!! The worlds tough I'm trying to eat less meat but I started with sea food :) I never eat it unless my parents force me in the Philippines I'm sad for the people and the fish because the people are starving yet there's so many fish being slaughtered and to my surprise there were bout spot stingrays >-< disgusts me

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sod what people think weather they laugh or not, difference is you have a heart, you've proved that by caring for your poorly fish,

I get laugh at when I tell people I'm a vegan I wouldn't let that ever bother me, just let them get on with it, fish are family there not just pets

Sent from my fish phone

People come in to where I work. I've got some bad stories. One women was trying to buy a ful grown queen angel for her... Wait for it... 16 Nuvo. I only have a tomato clown in there she says. I'm not trying to make sales if the conditions for the animal aren't optimal. Sometimes I just give people info and they ignore it. Oh well. At least I try

Maybe this is just because iv had a bad day but I have had enough of people not taking me serious with this hobby I just spent a few hours trying to keep a foxface alive but he sadly died but everyone was like just kill it it's only a fish or laughing at me for trying to help it yeah maybe it died in the end but at least I tried just so annoyed at them

I am so sorry for your loss. It is not just a fish. It is a living sentient creature that deserves as much care as a dog or cat.

Don't listen to them... you're doing what is right and I commend you for that :) Keep it up!

My girlfriend lives the fish but laughs when they die her mum and brothers thought it was funny how he was stuck in the power head and her brother was happy it died I was pretty annoyed at him he has been so disrespectful lately I got his ps3 at the moment cos he was naughty haha

That's terrible :'( I don't understand how people can find it funny when someone or an animal is in trouble and dies after. I mean.... UGHHH.

When you know your audience , just consider the source !
How wonderful the world would be if everyone had a heart like yours .
Stay who you are and be true to yourself . Your a good person for caring for your fish .
Thank you for that .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am so sorry for your loss. It is not just a fish. It is a living sentient creature that deserves as much care as a dog or cat.

Don't listen to them... you're doing what is right and I commend you for that :) Keep it up!

Ok, I don't want to be "that guy," but...

I appreciate where you are going with this but be careful waving the "fish are sentient" flag around. I really think that's taking it a step too far.

But I won't start a debate on it. In some aspects, IMO, they are but for the most part I really don't think they can perceive much of anything besides instincts.

Ok, since it seems we've thrown the whole kitchen sink in here I'll chip in my two cents.
Ok, enough idioms. ;)

But really, here I go:

To me, while I would never mistreat my fish or neglect them, I do not treat them as a pet. They may seem to act like they are "begging for food," or "following your finger," but I really just think it is them acting on instinct.

But I'm not an animal psychologist, so I very well might be wrong. In fact, that's the thing about arguments. We could be 976,564.3% sure we are right one minute and then be presented with one fact and realize how undeniably wrong we were the next. Just remember that folks. ;) So anyway, I don't claim to be correct at all, this is just what I think.

I personally treat my tank as "living art." I create it, I change it, etc. I don't name my fish I don't play with them or pretend that they have any intimate knowledge of their surroundings. They are not pets (to ME!!! Maybe to you they are but that's your opinion and this is mine so I don't CARE), they are an element of a piece of artwork, a figure in the foreground of a painting, and not much more.

*weatherman voice*

"Folks today is looking to be cloudy with a 70% chance of hate comments and some scattered rage storms..."

Fishperson:
I get and understand what you're saying. :)

I also get really attached to animals, so. :). But for me they actually are my pets. I was going to get a hamster but ended up with a betta fish and now have 7 Pygmy Cory cats too. Lol. My betta has a name and if I could tell them apart I would maybe name the catfish too. Not everyone wants to name their fish and that's fine. Many people don't. I think Bettas tend to get named more than other fish, but that may be just my opinion.

I think he is following fingers especially since he doesn't always do it. I don't know if we'll ever really know. Fish are a hard creature to really understand in some ways.

Let it suffice to say, they are living creatures that deserve proper care and (also love in my opinion) and attention.

I understand not all people see their fish as pets and that's fine.

You're good to your fish and take good care of them and that's what matters :). You appreciate them in one way and I another. That's perfectly okay ;)

Fishperson:
I get and understand what you're saying. :)

I also get really attached to animals, so. :). But for me they actually are my pets. I was going to get a hamster but ended up with a betta fish and now have 7 Pygmy Cory cats too. Lol. My betta has a name and if I could tell them apart I would maybe name the catfish too. Not everyone wants to name their fish and that's fine. Many people don't. I think Bettas tend to get named more than other fish, but that may be just my opinion.

I think he is following fingers especially since he doesn't always do it. I don't know if we'll ever really know. Fish are a hard creature to really understand in some ways.

Let it suffice to say, they are living creatures that deserve proper care and (also love in my opinion) and attention.

I understand not all people see their fish as pets and that's fine.

You're good to your fish and take good care of them and that's what matters :). You appreciate them in one way and I another. That's perfectly okay ;)

Yes I agree with all of this :)

I actually agree that they follow fingers, what I meant was that I think it's just because they see it as food or something. In fact the reason that they swim up and down the front glass (and why fish like Betta's flare at glass) is that they see themselves in the glass and think it is another fish.

That actually is pretty cute. :)

For me it is only because it is a community tank that I find trouble seeing them as pets. If I had a single betta I would find it much easier.

:)

Perhaps they see fingers as food. He does like to bite us when we put our fingers in the tank when we let him. Sometimes I let him bite me since I can't pet him lol. Usually I just have my fingers on the outside.

What's cute? :)

Ah. Makes sense. I can see that especially w a bigger tank but I'd probably still get attached to them :p

Anyway I think fish are super :). I never realized how much I could like a fish until I had one.

Back
Top Bottom