Silent over flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bif24701

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My overflow makes to much noise, in the display tank and the sump. What can I do?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110609_204647.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110609_204647.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 127
If your tank is up agents a wall and you have a backdrop... Take an old blanket and fold it up and stick that around the pipe. Lol this is what I did. Cheap and easy fix. as far as the sump have the water run directly onto a sponge.

I like the sponge idea, however the back is exposed and the overflow isn't terrible but I would like to find s quite solution.

Another thing you could do is get some thick foam and rap it around. Basically anything that you can wrap around the pipe will make it quiet-er. Allot of people put a piece of airline in the outlet to allow the air to escape. Others place a filter sponge directly over the hole, thus allowing the water level to rise just enough in the overflow to cover the sponge so you dong get that draining sound.

I guess my biggest problem is water slashing in my sump coming from the overflows.

In the picture you can kinda see what I did. The white sponge is directly up agents the inlet for the sump. I guess you could call this a wet dry part of my sump. Anyways this dramatically quieted my sump. If you post some more pics I could help you out more. Like of the overflow box the sump etc.

Attachments

• image-1709572770.jpg
    image-1709572770.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 103
As you can see I have two 3/4" drain lines into a filter bag in my sump. I may be able to add two sponge on the end of each hose.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110610_095227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110610_095227.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20110610_095256.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110610_095256.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 92
Tomchong22 said:
In the picture you can kinda see what I did. The white sponge is directly up agents the inlet for the sump. I guess you could call this a wet dry part of my sump. Anyways this dramatically quieted my sump. If you post some more pics I could help you out more. Like of the overflow box the sump etc.

I understand what your saying but can't really make it out in the picture.

Lol nice sump you have set up. Mine is just a ten gal diy. I have to get a new stand so I can fit a 20long in it.... As far as yours I'm kinda stumped. Maybe you could try and fill the filter bag with something like sponge or filter pads to quiet the splash sound. Idk it's just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom