single angel tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two of the three angels in my main tank started acting aggressive to a third. I didn't think it was a big deal until the third lost an eye (all those stories as a kid are coming back to me). I took him out, put him in a quarentine tank and bombarded with maracyn and maracyn two. He's now doing well but I can't put him back in the main tank and he's slow to eat since it seems it's hard for him to see the food.

So, I want to set up a tank for him but I have no idea what kind. I want a small tank and I don't want any other angels but I would like some other fish so it would be interesting. This angel is full grown and a veil tail so no fin nippers can be with him.

Any ideas?

I had a similar situation with my angels. They were 3 of the best friends ever until two of them decided they liked each other and there was no room for the third.

Luckily, I had my 30 gal handy. She went into the tank with 4 black skirt tetras, a couple of bristlenose plecos and an apple snail. I tried adding guppies but that certainly did not work.

Give the blackskirts a try...and a nice dwarf pleco or cory cat.

That would be nice. If you would rather have something other than black skirts, you could get glowlight tetras, lemon tetras, or pristellas (there is also a gold variety). All those species are supposed to be very peaceful, and I can vouch for glowlights and pristellas, though I don't have personal experience with lemons. They tend to be very laid-back and probably will not outcompete your angel for food. Sterbai corys are gorgeous if you can find them in your area, but tend to be pricey. Or, a bristlenose pleco would be nice.

Thanks for the replies. I don't like pleco's so that's a no but I've had corys before and I think it would be nice to have them again. I've never had any kind of tetras before. Other than looks, are there advantages over one kind or another?

Yes. Some are more boisterous than others, like serpaes... although I think JC keeps them with his angels without issues, but then again his tank is 75 gallons. Some are too small, like neons, and might become an angel snack. Some are fin nippers, and would best not be housed with a veil tail angel like you said.

Other peaceful species are green fire, rummynose, and cardinals. Cardinals get a little larger than neons, so they may be ok with an angel, but as always YMMV. Rummynose tend to stick mostly to the bottom 1/3 of the tank, so they may be a good choice for you as far as competition for food. They are somewhat difficult to acclimate and are best added to an established tank.

Another good choice is rasboras.....

Another question for all, would rainbowfish be good tankmates for an angelfish? If they are, then you have a nice selection of some little bit larger colorful fish (but yet smaller than the angel).

Back
Top Bottom