Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty quiet today huh? My hearts not in it. A lot of nonsense and a lot of people leaving. Ann's basically done.

Culled a bunch of angelfish- there were some with major deformities and some obvious runts.

Aside from that, lots of exciting news from Poppa. His site is really coming together and I'm likely going to be able to put up my angelfish on there- not to mention Ann's logo.

Could you PM his site info when you have a minute?

Not sure if I'm allowed to say yet. He's keeping hush with a lot of this till he's ready to launch but it should be soon (y)

It was kinda fun to watch all the sunfish go nuts but yeah, culling is no fun.

Well PR did mention the website on his thread, plus the website is pretty bare not much to see.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah culling is no fun, but as long as you don't "euthanasia" them I don't have a problem with it. In other words I feed mine to angelfish.....

I didn't know you had sunfish! That's cool!!

We don't. The university has them, they agreed to let us bring our culls there for food as long as theres no guests

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

What kind of sunfish? That's cool didn't know you kept those too

I used to have a pumpkinseed sunfish, he was one of my favorite fish of all time. The university has a big native tank with sunfish and perch and I fed them since these culls were too small for the gar.

I used to have a pumpkinseed sunfish, he was one of my favorite fish of all time. The university has a big native tank with sunfish and perch and I fed them since these culls were too small for the gar.

Found PR site by the way, can't wait till there's more of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Culled a bunch of angelfish- there were some with major deformities and some obvious runts.

Lots of exciting news from Poppa. His site is really coming together and I'm likely going to be able to put up my angelfish on there- not to mention Ann's logo.

Culling, it's definitely not for the weak of heart. :brows::lol: It has to be done tho if you want to create a strong line of fish. In nature, with animals that have numerous young at a time, the natural survival rate is only about 1%-3% that make it to breeding adults. That's a whole bunch of youngin's that nature had already planned to get rid of. So if you think about it, if nature allows for 1-3 out of every 100 fish fry to survive and we keep an average of 50%-80% +/- of spawns that range in the hundreds, you have to know going in that there are going to be natural deaths as well as deaths by other reasons. We are now the determining factor where as in nature, other fish would surely be eating these deformed or weaker fish. "Only the strong survive." ;) I bring this up to show you, first hand, how the genetic lines of today's Angelfish have been so compromised. Deformities ( natural) can happen at any time and so you need to be culling constantly. You are far from over with the culling Sini. ;) And here's an example of how poorly people are culling their fish. I was at a friend's shop yesterday and saw an adult Angel, from a wholesaler, the size of some of my breeders, with a huge notch in front of it's dorsal fin. It was so obvious that I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. It wasn't an open wound, or an old obvious healed over wound but a "defect" and the fish was kept and grown despite it's having it. To me, that's a careless breeder releasing a fish like that and foolish to have kept it that long. If it had been culled at a younger age and size, the breeder could have spared him/herself the reputation of selling poor quality fish. Stepping down from my soap box but I'm just sayin. :whistle: (y)

Sorry to hear about the issues Poppa is having and I'm sure his site will be a hit once completed. (y)

Culling, it's definitely not for the weak of heart. :brows::lol: It has to be done tho if you want to create a strong line of fish. In nature, with animals that have numerous young at a time, the natural survival rate is only about 1%-3% that make it to breeding adults. That's a whole bunch of youngin's that nature had already planned to get rid of. So if you think about it, if nature allows for 1-3 out of every 100 fish fry to survive and we keep an average of 50%-80% +/- of spawns that range in the hundreds, you have to know going in that there are going to be natural deaths as well as deaths by other reasons. We are now the determining factor where as in nature, other fish would surely be eating these deformed or weaker fish. "Only the strong survive." ;) I bring this up to show you, first hand, how the genetic lines of today's Angelfish have been so compromised. Deformities ( natural) can happen at any time and so you need to be culling constantly. You are far from over with the culling Sini. ;) And here's an example of how poorly people are culling their fish. I was at a friend's shop yesterday and saw an adult Angel, from a wholesaler, the size of some of my breeders, with a huge notch in front of it's dorsal fin. It was so obvious that I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. It wasn't an open wound, or an old obvious healed over wound but a "defect" and the fish was kept and grown despite it's having it. To me, that's a careless breeder releasing a fish like that and foolish to have kept it that long. If it had been culled at a younger age and size, the breeder could have spared him/herself the reputation of selling poor quality fish. Stepping down from my soap box but I'm just sayin. :whistle: (y)

Sorry to hear about the issues Poppa is having and I'm sure his site will be a hit once completed. (y)

Today was our first cull and we're ready for more! I'm a cold-hearted evolutionist and scientist, I've had to do far worse things to fish that had a lot less reason to die (y) I've watched an unsedated live lobster have its tail twisted and torn off and scramble desperately on the dissection tray as the uncaring graduate student dug around in and yanked out his guts with a pair of tweezers :eek::hide: By comparison, culling deformed fish feels like I'm doing something right in the grand scheme of nature. Thankfully most of our deformities have just been runts. But I've got the lack of heart to be a breeder I guess.

???I don't get it???

Rockin!:dance:[/QUOTE]

The lack of heart thing was a joke about culling (y)

Soooo what are you going to do with the rams spawn???
Do you plan on getting the 40bs before this DPG sale ends?

Soooo what are you going to do with the rams spawn???
Do you plan on getting the 40bs before this DPG sale ends?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely gonna have the 40Bs in time, plus it coincides closely enough with the angelfish spawn, so I'm going to save this spawn as long as it's looking good tomorrow! With the success I've already had I don't mind raising close angelfish and ram spawns together. Rams should be freeswimming within just days of the angelfish.

Back
Top Bottom