Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An isolated nipped fin incident on one of the platys has me worried about the yoyos... Hopefully they didn't do it or at least don't keep doing it....

Granted, with a large angelfish in the tank untouched I'm not entirely convinced it's a nipped fin at all.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya'll think it could be other platys? There's a1/1 m/f ratio because of a gaffe on my friend's part.

Anyone could have nipped the platy.
They are tough and can be pesty to other fish .
Much like my swords of long ago they also can be really tough on each other.
Sometimes a little nip is all that is needed to set the order?
Sounds like territories are being established.

Semester started today so it's really good that all these tanks were completed when they were!

At this point I'm convinced it's the platys beating up on each other, because Flint the angelfish is half veil-fin/veiltail and the last time we had a nipping problem with a loach in this tank, it went straight for him. I have a hard time believing these loaches would ignore such an obvious nipping target if they were the culprits.

Having 10 (soon to be 15) loaches again is a dream come true. Might even add the aborichthys loach into the mix now that I know he's not an aggressive and nippy schistura.

Semester started today so it's really good that all these tanks were completed when they were!

At this point I'm convinced it's the platys beating up on each other, because Flint the angelfish is half veil-fin/veiltail and the last time we had a nipping problem with a loach in this tank, it went straight for him. I have a hard time believing these loaches would ignore such an obvious nipping target if they were the culprits.

Having 10 (soon to be 15) loaches again is a dream come true. Might even add the aborichthys loach into the mix now that I know he's not an aggressive and nippy schistura.

Glad you have more loaches Sini!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

An update! (No pictures for now so feel free to skip if you just want more pics)

Lost one of the platys- the sunburst female that was thrust upon me by a friend lost a bunch of scales at some point (I believe when she was moved into the 55, but not 100% sure) and got progressively worse. I saw a bit of fuzz on her two days ago, decided columnaris was not worth the risk, and promptly transfered her to the quarantine. Unfortunately the kuhli was also in quarantine, and I don't like to use salt with kuhlis. The platy died within a few hours, before I could pick up an antibiotic, so it likely was columnaris.

With a m/f ratio of 3:2 in the 55 and the females being harassed into constant hiding, I moved two of the male platys (also thrust upon me by a friend, hence the thrown-off m/f ratio) into the 20 gallon community. No signs of any illness in them, in the 55, or in the quarantine so I think it was just an opportunistic columnaris or saprolegnia infection on the sunburst.

The big group of yoyos is as wonderful as any group I've ever had. The biggest male has been having a long series of spats with the kubotai over dominance of the loach pack in the tank. The yoyo is a little longer, but the kubotai is stockier and I'm fairly sure he's winning. The rest of the yoyos are blissfully unaware of the struggle for dominance and are too busy getting delightfully fat on sinking pellets, brine shrimp and freeze dried krill (out of Missgurnus's hand! Pics of that soon!)

Oh, and Coralbandit, that 10 gallon is nearly ready! The ammonia bacteria are doing 4+ppm in 24 hours, the nitrite-fixers are slowly catching up.

Oh, and Coralbandit, that 10 gallon is nearly ready! The ammonia bacteria are doing 4+ppm in 24 hours, the nitrite-fixers are slowly catching up.

I ram you when you are ready!!!
Don't rush I'm on year 2 + of these guys!
I look forward to hearing how people in Kansas , Texas , Massachusetts ,and Maine(my favorite state) do with my fish.
Hoping you and the mrs are all good!

I look forward to hearing how people in Kansas , Texas , Massachusetts ,and Maine(my favorite state) do with my fish.

Kansas checking in. They are doin great. Ive got abt 100 lil almost swimmers as of today from them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want them so bad, I've always been a huge fan of GBRs and I need to get the bad taste of trying to spawn garbage petsmart rams out of my mouth. Should have known that it would have gone badly :banghead:

The good local LFS can't seem to get good stock of angels or rams (he hasn't stocked the latter in decades apparently) so hopefully I can corner the local market on both :dance:

We're both doing great, thanks! We're both thrilled to have all of these tanks. She absolutely adores Popparyno's angels (so do I), and I finally have enough loaches to not feel like a poser as the loach "expert" on this board ;)

How many loaches do you have?

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many loaches do you have?

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

5 yoyos, 5 kuhlis, 1 angelicus (soon to be 5 when my LFS gets more; they only had one when we got him) and an aborichthys elongatus. 16 loaches total, and 3 out of the 4 hobby-relevant loach families represented! Maybe I'll set up a hillstream tank to round things off....

Add the hillstream and you will be the loach master!

I'm already the loach master, just mostly on past experience ;)

In all honesty, hillstreams are my least favorite of the loaches (don't tell the hillstream fanatics :hide: ) I mostly know about them from a short-lived species setup and from being around other loach fanatics on the Loaches Online forums.

What I've always liked best is the fish from botiidae; my biggest fishkeeping holy grail would be getting some emperor loaches (botia udomritthiruji). I've told Missgurnus that there is nothing on this earth she could do to me that I wouldn't forgive for a school of those fish.

I want them so bad, I've always been a huge fan of GBRs and I need to get the bad taste of trying to spawn garbage petsmart rams out of my mouth. Should have known that it would have gone badly :banghead:

The good local LFS can't seem to get good stock of angels or rams (he hasn't stocked the latter in decades apparently) so hopefully I can corner the local market on both :dance:

We're both doing great, thanks! We're both thrilled to have all of these tanks. She absolutely adores Popparyno's angels (so do I), and I finally have enough loaches to not feel like a poser as the loach "expert" on this board ;)

Haven't you always been considered the loach expert? Nice to know where everyone lives. Calling in from central Michigan right now.

Haven't you always been considered the loach expert? Nice to know where everyone lives. Calling in from central Michigan right now.

I suppose I have, but I've just been waiting for someone to say "How can you give me advice about loaches when all you have is some kuhlis, an aborichthys and a solitary angelicus?" I don't want people to think I'm an all-talk internet fish warrior :hide:

I suppose I have, but I've just been waiting for someone to say "How can you give me advice about loaches when all you have is some kuhlis, an aborichthys and a solitary angelicus?" I don't want people to think I'm an all-talk internet fish warrior :hide:

Not many people are on this site.

Not many people are on this site.

I think there's definitely some people who sometimes give advice off of other people's experience on this site- and I'll admit flat-out that I'm one of those people . It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just prefer to give advice that comes from my own particular fishkeeping experiences as it allows me to give more nuanced and quality advice.

i think there's definitely some people who sometimes give advice off of other people's experience on this site- and i'll admit flat-out that i'm one of those people . It's not necessarily a bad thing, i just prefer to give advice that comes from my own particular fishkeeping experiences as it allows me to give more nuanced and quality advice.

+1! .....

Back
Top Bottom