skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to add a skimmer to my setup but have several questions as to the right one for me.

The tank is 55g reefish
3"DSB
2 backfilters
2 PH
40 lbs LR
40 lbs baserock
many corals
few fish

My tank is covered and a see through. The only access is on the side with the backfilters. about 1 1/2" wide.

What type of skimmer will fit this setup and please note that cost is a very important factor at this time.

I realize you get what you pay for, but certainly their is a reasonably priced skimmer that will do a decent enough job for my needs, I hope anyway.

Howard

need a protein skimmer??

well what i would look into is called a prizm protein skimmer it sits under your fish tank and is all self contained. it has a hose in and a hose out. it usally just sits by the sump but if you bought a longer hose for it , it should do the trick for you.. it has its own pump to pump the water back in to your tank.. now i worked at a fish store and some ppl loved prizms and others didint like it at all .. and the reson was they wanted it to work as good as a 500 dollar one when they were only buying one that cost $200 these are canadian price by the way.. hope that might of helped you a little.. or something to look into.

Yes the space for the skimmer would only be 1 1/2 inches wide so it would have to be a backpack type aor syphon type I would suppose. I am looking in the 100.00 range.

Thankyou for the great input.

Howard

I can't think of a skimmer that will fit in a 1.5" space. I also do not see a way to do it with a siphon that won't get your floor wet, sorry. If you can move the tank away from the wall a couple more inches, there might be something to work with.

I'm sorry Reef, I don't think I gave you the right picture. The opening is the space between the edge of the glass ..into the tank. My tank is 12 1/2 " wide and the two piece glass cover is appr. 10 1/2" wide only leaving me about an 1 1/2 inches or so of open area accessable to the tank.

Does that help?

Howard

LOL, uh yeah, guess I was wearing the dunce hat today.

For what your wanting to do, I think you can get away with a prizm, or maybe a seaclone, or an Aqua-C remora, but a bak pak (the best option in your price range) might be a little too much.

If it is as hot in FL as it is in MN, none of us are thinking clearly. LOL

Thank you for your time and advice. I will check them out and hopefully one willl meet my needs.

Thanks for the feather stuff too. Hopefully it will regrow a crown. I did finally make the switch to RO water. My nearby grocier just installed a water fill station and it is definately RO. I purchased two 5gal. water jugs and can refill for only .39 cents a gal. This is affordable to me.

Howard

Back
Top Bottom