Small paito pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I an trying to set up a all patio pond at my apartment. I don't have the luxury of a back yard so I have I settle for a above ground pond. I want to know of you guys with ponds out there think this planter box is ok size for a few koi. I live in San Diego so I'm not worried to much about temps getting to cold.

My list for the build
Planter Box Lined with Pond Liner
Bio Filter with UV filter
Pond Pump
Heater
Gravel and potted Lillies

Any other parts or suggestions? Please help I want to get this right!!! Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-1938261605.jpg
    image-1938261605.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-4003890467.jpg
    image-4003890467.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2916593022.jpg
    image-2916593022.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 126
That box is freaking sweet. It would definitely work out with one to four koi in it. Just make sure you set the box up with water in it and the filter running for two weeks or so before you put the fish in.

I think its small for koi long-term unless you have an option to swap them out as they grow. It looks awesome though and once you get it decked out I bet it'll be quite the attraction. What are the dimensions on it?

It's a temp till I move into a house (like a year). The box itself is 2'Wx4'Lx18"H. I would only be putting about 5 small koi in it unroll they grow. I have had a few tanks so I under stand cycling and all the set up time. Thanks guys!

*until they grow out of it. Also the box is
Only costing me $60. I will post pictures when I have it set up

cichlid_tank619 said:
It's a temp till I move into a house (like a year). The box itself is 2'Wx4'Lx18"H. I would only be putting about 5 small koi in it unroll they grow. I have had a few tanks so I under stand cycling and all the set up time. Thanks guys!

Here are some pics of the two koi in my 55g tank that are under a year old. They are 10" and 12". They require huge water changes every day to control nitrate levels. They are only in this tank to quarantine as they are re-homing to a friends pond.

I would stay with only two small koi until you get your back yard! If yours grow like mine did... Your work load will be exhausting with water changes down the road. They are a lot of fun and a deck pond like that is ideal for training them to feed from your hand. I could sit for hours watching these guys!

Attachments

• image-1915841895.jpg
    image-1915841895.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-995861833.jpg
    image-995861833.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1162395841.jpg
    image-1162395841.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 165
cichlid_tank619 said:
Decided to hold off and just do a big underground one when I move.

No harm in growing one or two in the mean time if you have the time and water space. You could have them trained to hand feed perfectly before introducing them to a large pond.

Study up on filtration. I moved the two koi from my aquarium to my friends pond... Two cleanings later and my canister filter still smells like koi poop! you will want a filter that can handle a large bio load and is easy to clean... For sure. They are a lot of fun.

If you are interested in breeding koi... Research the bloodlines and where you can get some that will resell well. Coloring, markings and bloodlines... Japan imports are mostly top dollar. There are Koi shows you can compete in as well.

Back
Top Bottom