Snail Feeding Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cre8byconstance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG

I have a fairly new tank that hasn't developed algae yet which currently houses baby snails. I've been feeding them algae wafers and blanched cucumber, but am not sure if there is such a thing as overfeeding...I know my betta would eat himself to death if I let him. Will my snails do the same, or will they only eat what they need?

If it's possible to overfeed, how much is recommended for 8 babies about the size of a pea?

Snails will eat and poop constantly. It goes out as fast as it goes in. They need calcium rich foods for good shell growth and a ph of at least 7.2. Soft water will leach minerals from their shell.

I would offer 1/4 of a dime size wafer a day. The cucumber isn't real high in nutrition but they will enjoy it.

Snails will eat and poop constantly. It goes out as fast as it goes in. They need calcium rich foods for good shell growth and a ph of at least 7.2. Soft water will leach minerals from their shell.

I would offer 1/4 of a dime size wafer a day. The cucumber isn't real high in nutrition but they will enjoy it.

Thanks! That's good to know. I thought the cucumber would be better for them than algae wafers. Lol. Darn. They seem to enjoy both the wafers and the cucumber equally, as far as I can tell, so that's good. :)

They jump on the food as soon as it's offered, so I couldn't tell if I wasn't feeding them enough or if they were just gluttons. Lol. Sounds like I have been feeding them plenty then. I love my snails and really didn't want to starve or feed them to death!

Keep an eye on your Betta. Mine will hover over the algae tablet. The snails I have with him are adults so they just mow right through him. Babies might get nipped.

Keep an eye on your Betta. Mine will hover over the algae tablet. The snails I have with him are adults so they just mow right through him. Babies might get nipped.

So far he seems to deem them not worthy of his attention, but I'll keep an eye out! :)

Back
Top Bottom