Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I called the Petco a couple of towns away and they do have them. Will take a ride after I drop my son at PreK tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds good, hope you can get them. :)
I'm pretty surprised the pet stores you've tried hadn't even heard of Nerite Snails... they're fairly common. (At least here they are) They are a pretty popular choice next to mystery snails because again, they don't breed in FW, and are excellent algae cleaners.

MGamer2000 on here has some really cool horned nerite snails. I have ordered from him twice and he has great prices, fast shipping and good packaging.

Still no luck getting the nerite snail. When I went to the PetCo they actually did not have them and tried to sell me mystery snails. They said that Mystery snails don't repoduce. Is this true?

They are not asexual but they will breed if you have a male and female. Eggs need to be moist but above the waterline to hatch though.

Thanks Coleallensmom. I wasn't sure if they were asexual or not. I tend not to trust the people at Petco. Cool maybe I'll get one of them. They had blue and gold ones that were nice looking. Do you know how big they get?

Mystery snails will reproduce in your tank. They will lay their eggs above the water line. If you don't want them to reproduce simply keep your water level high. That way they won't be able to lay their eggs.

If they do lay eggs they are a pink hard cluster. Just pick it off and toss them if you don't want babies. My snail has laud eggs three times in the last couple months but we are saving the babies to put into my brother in laws pond in the spring. We have somewhere upwards of 100 by now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

AFAIK, true mystery snails won't get bigger then about 3 inches. Very interesting snails...my son has two in his 20 gallon and they are real climbers!

I think I'll get one and give it a try. I didn't realize the Nerite snails would be so hard to come by.

I'm surprised that your LFSs don't have them! My local Petsmart doesn't have them sometimes, but my local Petco always has them.

Every LFS I went to in this area looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked for Nerite snails. They said they had never heard of them. I was beginning to think they were rare and hard to get. Apparently in this area they are.

Every LFS I went to in this area looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked for Nerite snails. They said they had never heard of them. I was beginning to think they were rare and hard to get. Apparently in this area they are.

*ha!* Sometimes I ask for things and get the same look....funny isn't it? Some Fish chain stores get the same fish in (or breed their own) on a regular basis and just don't have expereince with anything beyond that. That being said, my local Petco seems to have a continuous stock of Tiger and Zebra nerites. It's a shame yours doesn't as well. Nerites stay small and are great eaters. Really the only downside to them is their egg laying capabilities but the eggs do eventually disappear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom