Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The MTS that I saw in my tank yesterday showed up when I was cleaning the gravel, so I'm assuming that he was beneath the surface and I churned him up.

They can burrow in anything from what I can tell. I use the larger type rock in my tanks and they burrow in fine, and also do great with the sand in my brackish tank. I love that about them too, that they can be FW or brackish. It's interesting, the ones in my brackish tank seem to grow at 10 times the rate as FW!

See I wouldn't mind adding some more snails to take care of the window cleaning. Shall I get a zebra snail or some MTS? Keep in mind I already have two assassins.

A zebra nerite will take care of the glass. MTS are sometimes on the glass but more often in the substrate.

Maddmann said:
So I've seen a few people talking about snails, are they a pest or are they helpfull in the tank. Never thought about snails in the tank hehe

They're great to have/watch. My apple snail cruises around cleaning/eating what he feels like but like rookie said, not much for serious clean up. They can get big I've heard, so consider that.

MTS are really good if you have sand, since they burrow in clean it and clear gas pockets that can build up in the sand.

Here's a pic of Gary Jr. hanging out :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Attachments

• 2011-03-24 20.12.12-1.jpg
    2011-03-24 20.12.12-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 93
Nice phone, I wish my X10 had a keyboard. I won't be using SonyEricsson again though. They release with 1.6 when 2.1 is out, then after months of waiting and delays they issue 2.1, months after 2.2 is out.

My kind of greenish-ivory mystery snail... figured I might as well post it. What a mug!

Attachments

• DSC00393.jpg
    DSC00393.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00397.jpg
    DSC00397.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 79
Is a mystery snail and an apple snail the same thing? Do they reproduce?

That guy's shell from one end to the other (with the spiral facing you) is about 1 1/4". I believe they're the same thing as apple snails but despite my love of snails I don't know that much about them. Think I heard 2.5" is considered a good size for a one kept in good conditions.

Was kind of shocked that one this size was only $2. Pretty much every tank I own now is going to have at least one!

Rokuzachi said:
That guy's shell from one end to the other (with the spiral facing you) is about 1 1/4". I believe they're the same thing as apple snails but despite my love of snails I don't know that much about them. Think I heard 2.5" is considered a good size for a one kept in good conditions.

Was kind of shocked that one this size was only $2. Pretty much every tank I own now is going to have at least one!

Wow, looks bigger than that. I heard apple snails can get as big as a tennis ball lol.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom