Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent, they just arrived.

Siva, I've got 6 MTS too. Some people say these are pests, some say they are useful for aerating the gravel and cleaning left overs. I'm a little concerned about adding them.

Well I don't want to suggest you do something that you might regret. All I can say is that, personally, I think they are great. I think they serve a good purpose in the tank but also are attractive. Maybe I am biased because I really love snails. I've heard they reproduce like crazy, but I've had them in my tanks at least twice as long as ramshorn snails and in the time 1 ramshorn has turned into 100, I've yet to see one MTS baby. And I recently did a substrate change, meticulously picking through the gravel removing any snails...no babies. I knew approx how many snails I had put in there and I counted and came up with the same. So I don't know what to think of their supposed rapid reproduction. It's not a risk for me because I really don't mind..I'll just sell them if I end up with too many ;)

Hehe I love my snail "Gary"

Attachments

• image-3192222610.jpg
    image-3192222610.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 60
Today I visted a different LFS today which was over run with MTS. This kinda put me off adding them into my tank. Plus when I got home, I noticed a new tiny baby MTS in the bag. I heard they breed fast but I wasn't expecting within 2 hours.

I have three nerite snails now, so will adding the MTS be too much?

It's possible the tiny baby could have been in there already and just looked like waste until closer inspection, or could have been attached to a larger one and you didn't notice it. No it wouldn't be but, if you really don't like the idea of them reproducing maybe you shouldn't add them?? Again all I can really say is that I haven't noticed any reproduction in my FW tanks over several months but I certainly have heard they reproduce fast. I think over feeding contributes however.

I don't mind MTS. The only snail I don't really want in my tank are the pond snail variety.

So far my favorite type of snail is the gold mystery snail. I just got one today, it's so pretty. His name of course is Gary.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Today I bought 4 purple mystery snails, 2 magenta mystery, 4 pink ramshorn, and 4 blue ramshorn. I can barely contain my excitement :biglol:

Thanks for your advice. I have taken the decision to add them as recommended. One of my assassins went after one straight away so hopefully they will be kept under control that way.

Cool maybe they will perk up those lazy asses...um I mean assassins ;)

Back
Top Bottom