Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They require a pair I believe. You can distinguish the males by their penal tube, if you can manage to spot it.

Those purple mystery snails look A LOT like mine. I think those are the kind I have.

I've wanted them for a while but this is the first time I've found them reasonably priced. The other seller that always has them listed on ebay charges..well after shipping..it would cost me over $50 to get 6 of them here. YIKES!

Mine were just under "assorted snails" at the fish store and cost $2.99 each. Haha...

I have a mystery snail too. He is a cool little one. But snails are asexual (at least most are and that's what I've learned) and can reproduce quickly. So unless you want a tank full of snails just get one :D
Rokuzachi, you have an awesome looking snail!

Yeah, actually not all snails are asexual. Apple snails are neither asexual nor hermaphroditic.

The snails I know of that commonly reproduce like crazy are pond snails and ramshorn snails. All you need is 1 ramshorn snail and you'll have a hundred in no time if you aren't careful :)

siva said:
The snails I know of that commonly reproduce like crazy are pond snails and ramshorn snails. All you need is 1 ramshorn snail and you'll have a hundred in no time if you aren't careful :)

Good to know, since the puffers my GF wants likes eating them.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Same here :) I want some of the tiny pea puffers if I can ever afford to order them.

How many nerite snails can I put into a 10G tank?

I bought one off ebay, then realised it said 5 :/

Oh you got 5 I just saw that..should be fine as long as you aren't over stocked and no one else is depending on some algea. Which variety did you get?

I've got Red Onion, they look really nice.

I have some shrimp that eat algae but they can't eat it from the glass, nowhere to stand I guess. I have 1 tiny baby plec but that doesn't seem to be able to remove any algae from the glass, don't know why.

I think I'll give two or three away.

Excellent, they just arrived.

Siva, I've got 6 MTS too. Some people say these are pests, some say they are useful for aerating the gravel and cleaning left overs. I'm a little concerned about adding them.

I've got Red Onion, they look really nice.

I have some shrimp that eat algae but they can't eat it from the glass, nowhere to stand I guess. I have 1 tiny baby plec but that doesn't seem to be able to remove any algae from the glass, don't know why.

I think I'll give two or three away.

Are you sure they are nerites? I can't find a red onion nerite...or onion snail of any kind on ebay? Weird. Is it a common pleco? You might want to get rid of that thing and keep the snails instead...they get so big they need literally hundreds of gallons. Plus they create a lot of waste so even when their small I wouldn't keep them in a 10 gal (forgive me if we've already talked about this). If the snails are small I would at least keep them until they grow large. 5 small nerites is definitely appropriate for a 10 gal. And who knows....you might have another tank you want to put a couple of them in eventually :infinity:

F4A said:
Excellent, they just arrived.

Siva, I've got 6 MTS too. Some people say these are pests, some say they are useful for aerating the gravel and cleaning left overs. I'm a little concerned about adding them.

IMO if you've got something to keep them in check, it's a natural food source. As for sand beds, yes they keep it clean and keep gasses from building up from my research.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom