Snails????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never seen fish or snail eggs but I found 2 of these in my livebearers tank. Snails hitchhiked to both my aquariums, I highly doubt this is from my oto. Help!!!!! I don't want snails. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412122744.151290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like snail eggs to me. Just scrape it off the glass

Fishobsessed7

Ugh!!! Ok I took them off when I took the picture. Pesty things. So do I just toss them out the front door?

No- don't toss them out the door or flush them!!! Keep it in a paper towel and burn it, dry them out in salt, whatever it takes to make sure they are destroyed- aquarists are blamed for introducing invasive species more than any other group, including boaters and anglers. Please don't contribute to this problem....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No- don't toss them out the door or flush them!!! Keep it in a paper towel and burn it, dry them out in salt, whatever it takes to make sure they are destroyed- aquarists are blamed for introducing invasive species more than any other group, including boaters and anglers. Please don't contribute to this problem....

Yes thank you for this. Don't flush it or release it it's bad for the local ecosystems.

Thank you. I will burn them in a paper towel. Thank you for letting me know this. I assumed they would die if not in the water. I'm learning everyday.

Very glad that you asked and are listening. Thanks for helping to keep the earth healthy and our shared hobby eco-friendly!!

Your welcome. No point in asking and then ignore what's being said. I did water changes in both tanks and got at least 6 more. I need something to rid them for good.

I've checked 3 stores so far, none have them. :(

In future, check new plants before putting them in a tank. You can dip them, using a solution of bleach/water, or hydrogen peroxide/water, or Excel/water, and it will kill algae as well. With some plants, like anubias, with harder leaves and not too many of them, you can run them through your fingers and feel if there are any egg clutches. If so, they are easy to squeeze off gently. I usually just let them dry thoroughly and toss them in the trash, but burning them is not a bad idea.

I also have shrimp in all my tanks, so when I see a nuisance snail, like a bladder snail, I just crush it. Shrimp really enjoy snacking on dead snails, so they are soon eaten and thus disposed of, and it's a good protein boost for the shrimp too.

If you can't find Assassin snails, another species called Asolene spixi snails are an option. A member of the Apple snail family, they are attractive and usually don't get much bigger than a full grown Zebra nerite. With random dark stripes on pale shells & ivory coloured bodies, they eat most other snails, including each other, so their population never gets out of hand. They won't kill every nuisance snail but they sure keep the numbers down.

In future, check new plants before putting them in a tank. You can dip them, using a solution of bleach/water, or hydrogen peroxide/water, or Excel/water, and it will kill algae as well. With some plants, like anubias, with harder leaves and not too many of them, you can run them through your fingers and feel if there are any egg clutches. If so, they are easy to squeeze off gently. I usually just let them dry thoroughly and toss them in the trash, but burning them is not a bad idea.

I also have shrimp in all my tanks, so when I see a nuisance snail, like a bladder snail, I just crush it. Shrimp really enjoy snacking on dead snails, so they are soon eaten and thus disposed of, and it's a good protein boost for the shrimp too.

If you can't find Assassin snails, another species called Asolene spixi snails are an option. A member of the Apple snail family, they are attractive and usually don't get much bigger than a full grown Zebra nerite. With random dark stripes on pale shells & ivory coloured bodies, they eat most other snails, including each other, so their population never gets out of hand. They won't kill every nuisance snail but they sure keep the numbers down.

Thank you for the awesome advise. Ironically i bought 2 plants today, asked sales lady to shake them well. When I got home I ran the plants under water and did a thrall inspection and sure enough there was a tiny snail. Smooched it and didn't feel bad.
The tank that was getting overloaded with them was also my sick tank. In about 8 hours I found 4 egg sacs ( is that what it's called for snails), anyway I burned them. :). I also lost most fish so removed all sand and gravel, did a full breakdown and start over in that tank. So if any were hiding there gone now.
I have checked all stores here no one sells assassin snails, only kind sold are the mystery snails, 1 store has the nitrite snail.

Nerite snail :). And they are clutches, not egg sacs. Too bad about the tank, that's a bummer.

And yeah, just a casual rinse is not enough to catch hitchhikers. I once found a half dozen scuds hiding under the foam wrapped around the stems of a bunch of something or other. Now, as it happens I don't mind scuds, they are good fish food for bottom feeders. But still, they were not even affected by a quick rinse. I always unwrap the foam or take off the weight, or the pot and potting medium and soak them in a bucket overnight. Most critters will be on the bucket bottom or sides. I may or may not dip them after that, depending what I find in the bucket. Some hitchhikers are not so bad, like scuds. Some are a darn nuisance, like leeches and bladder snails.

Though even bladder snails do a fairly good job of keeping glass cleaned of algae and other such things. It's just that they lay so many eggs and there end up being so many of them. I prefer larger, more decorative snails.

I just saw 3 or 4 eggs sacs hatch this week in my tank. And those are just the ones I saw. Probably more in there. Most likely from a plant shipment in June. Interesting to see if the population grows like the MTS already present. I believe there is a mineral deficiency because the tips of the MTS shells turn white and decay. I see dead/empty MTS shells in the tank as well. Tank is heavily planted, pressurized CO2 and glut added daily. If the numbers get out of hand then I will have to employ one of the methods described for control.

Thank you guys!!!! I am thankful I came across this site a couple months ago. I can't imagine the mess I would have not to mention money wasted on unnecessary chemicals. I've learned so much from my threads, and by looking around at questions and advise others have.

Next time I will certainly try putting the plants in a bucket over night, that's a great idea. I will still have to look for clutches or egg sacs right? I didn't look to good where the weight was now I kick myself in the butt. I personally don't care for potted plants, I think mostly I'm not sure if or how to take them out and plant them.

Just fyi, MTS shells virtually always have that erosion at the tips. Most conical shelled snails have it, no matter what size they are. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is mechanical damage, not related to water conditions. I have five species with conical shells and they all have damaged tips.

New born MTS have perfect shells, but at some point down the road of life they will begin to show signs of damage, and some adults will be missing an eighth once or more of shell tip. I've never noticed that it has any effect on their quality of life, as much as one can determine that for a snail.

I actually have a second MTS species that gets much much larger than the most common ones. I call them Olives, for lack of a proper name. Dull olive colour, no stripes or markings, larger round foot, with adults much more than double the size of the more usual MTS snails I see. Not only longer but much thicker too. I'm trying to keep them all separated and raise them. So far, they don't seem to produce nearly as many babies as the more usual MTS do, which might make them a nicer snail to have. Perhaps they are like some of the Tylomania species and have only one baby at a time, rather than the half dozen the common MTS have.

I wouldn't mind 1 snail in my aquariums, but it seems it's either none or dozens. From what I've notice it appears they do wonderful job keeping the inside of the glass clean. I'm concerned about getting another over load. Maybe some of you could share your feelings pros or cons to purchasing 1, what kind of would I or wouldn't I want? Tvanks

Hi friend nerite snails I'm pretty sure spelling is wrong but anyway they get as big as a quarter but they don't reproduce in freshwater so those would be good they eat left over food and alage so their actually pretty good

Back
Top Bottom