Snails????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey no rush go take care of the little one

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you are using a mobile device, one way to resize images is to mail them to yourself. The mail app should prompt you to select the image size. I usually aim for 100-300kb. Once you receive the mail, save the image and use that one.

I checked I don't see any on their. But check to see if you still see any dark area in belly of her

I checked I don't see any on their. But check to see if you still see any dark area in belly of her

GRRRR , this is totally frustrating. I have never had an issue posting pictures, now all a sudden i cant. I have looked and it all depends on the way she is moveing. she is either out and about busily or resting in the planted area down low so i am unable to get a good view. I can say she looks like she swallowed a marble. someone else posted about pregnant platy and my platy is the same kind as theirs and looks the same size wise and belly area... Oh well time will tell . thanks anyways my friend.

Ok well try to float some fake plants to help

i have some live anacharis floating along the top. not to much but hopefully enough.. thanks for trying to help. sorry i wasnt able to figure out how to send the pix

That's a good thing to have that floating that should help you with some fry hiding out

Regarding posting images, perhaps you have exceed the allocated member quota.
If this is the case then becoming a member (which I plan to do soon) should allow you to post more pics. The other choice is to post the pics to an image hosting site such as photobucket, imgur, etc and the post the links to the images.

Search for snail traps in this forum. There are some good ideas. I had an uncontrollable snail problem in my 29 gallon. Woke up one night to see the glass COVERED in ramshorn snails. I knew I had a few, but seriously disgusting to see the glass crawling. I then went and got 3 assassin snails and then eventually got 4 yoyos ( which I had looked into adding for a while because I just love loaches). Since then my snails provide a free source of food for my yoyos ( and even my other fish have joined in now). Now I put out a snail trap every couple of weeks, place my trapped snails in a ziplock bag, crush and freeze them for a special snack for my dad's loaches. His clown fish love them.

I'd really like to get some kulihi loaches but my large tank is only a 29 gal and I'm not sure but am thinking that would have me overstocked. Another negative there is a pretty decent size opening on the hood of my aquarium, I recall finding one on the floor as a kid.

I'd really like to get some kulihi loaches but my large tank is only a 29 gal and I'm not sure but am thinking that would have me overstocked. Another negative there is a pretty decent size opening on the hood of my aquarium, I recall finding one on the floor as a kid.

What a coincidence...I was thinking about getting some as well. My tank has the same foot print as a 29g but not as tall. I have very few fish in there and lots of plant cover but pretty much an open top.

So what are you thinking your going to do, Fresh? I'm sure there's a way we can have them and make up some kind of screen. Like maybe a handy person could make a screen with the same material as on house doors. Question, do loaches help with algae? Suppose I should know this.

So what are you thinking your going to do, Fresh? I'm sure there's a way we can have them and make up some kind of screen. Like maybe a handy person could make a screen with the same material as on house doors. Question, do loaches help with algae? Suppose I should know this.

They sell light diffuser at home depot, often refered to as egg crate, it's cheap and you could probably get it cut right in store! Makes a great open top solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They sell light diffuser at home depot, often refered to as egg crate, it's cheap and you could probably get it cut right in store! Makes a great open top solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BROOKSTER,
Thank you!! I don't have any cover on my 20 gal and would feel better if I did. I'll have to write that down and check it out.
I'm so excited about the new plants. Now I can put substrate down on the 20 gal and transfer the plants that need more light than my 29 has. Would you be wiling to let me know which ones I have. That need the better lighting? You've been so helpful.

I googled "kuhli loach jumping out of tank" and several hits repeated the same theme. :(
I might be more open to lighting egg crate if it was translucent. But that stuff is EASY to work with. As a matter of fact, I have a partial sheet of it in the garage.

I googled "kuhli loach jumping out of tank" and several hits repeated the same theme. :(
I might be more open to lighting egg crate if it was translucent. But that stuff is EASY to work with. As a matter of fact, I have a partial sheet of it in the garage.

Hey Fresh, thanks for the heads up. Been searching a bit myself and although they are really cool- sounds like a lot of jumping out of the tank, and getting trapped in filters. I guess i will be passing on those cute little buggers... i enjoy watching the fish in my 29 gal, they are normally pretty active and enjoyable to watch, thankfully they get along most times.. once in a while my larger angelfish will pick at the smaller one, but not to bad. they are not to far off in size maybe only a month or 2.
I will be busy for a while, my sick tank has no substrate right now, so i am going to add some of the flourish substrate gravel, and transfer several of my plants to the 20 gal, and i just ordered some java moss and java fern from a couple of guys here. so i am super excited about getting started. first i have to figure out what my plan is going to be with the fish that did survive

Will assassin snails kill all the snails. I have 4 Ramshorn Snail, 2 Sulawesi Snails, 2 Tracked Nerite Snail, 1 Pond Snail, 1 I don't now what it is but it looks nice :), and there is some Malaysian Trumpet Snail in there I think that's what they are any way :)

Assassin snails prey on ALL other snails. No snail will be safe from them, unfortunately. Some may escape for awhile, but eventually, they will catch them all, though MTS in the substrate may escape, but you'll have fewer of them.

You wouldn't want to lose the Sulawesi snails that way, surely ? Are they Rabbit snails, btw ?

Might want to just take that pond snail out, they reproduce SO quickly, best not to let them get going any more than they have already.

I've got Asolene spixi snails, which are predatory too, but not as bad as Assassins are, they don't kill every snail. Nerites seem to survive pretty well with Spixis, and a few ramshorns are usually around. Even bladder snails, I see now and then, but they never have a chance to really get established, the Spixis take enough of them out to prevent that.

Sadly, they will sometimes catch a Mystery snail, if you keep them together. They're closely related, but if they manage to grab them by the foot before they can shut their doors, the poor Mystery snail is done for, even though they may be twice the size of the spixi or more.

I have been keeping up on this thread as well as several others about aquarists and keeping snails. It seems to me that for the most part people are very pleased with the work the snails do and how quickly they get it done. Possibly I just had a run of not such good luck by getting infested with snails and their eggs, the problem was in my 20 long so even a handful seems like a lot for that size fish tank. Anyway, I did get rid of the problem with the snails and dont you know after much reading i went out and got a nerite snail. From all that I have read here and on the internet it seems that this is one of the few snails that does not multiply like crazy especially if i only keep one.. Hopefully I dont end up with the same problem I had before. I really appreciate and thank all of you for your thoughts and help, and the other threads that taught me quite a bit... my fingers are crossed this works out. i dont like to see the film on the glass and it drives me nuts feeling the fish tank is dirty even though I know what I see is BB. Any other suggestions on bottom feeders to help me keep the substrate clean as I am trying my hand at plants and i think to siphon the substrate will be difficult w/o pulling up plants..

Back
Top Bottom