Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[emoji7] one day I will have those hopefully [emoji23]

Have one of what?

As for today, I was feeding and wasn’t happy seeing the buildup in the sandbed. Blew it all out and raked through the sand.
Moved the powerheads to what looks to be a more satisfying flow. Used the smaller powerhead to blow out gunk from the rocks and set things up to view the flow with all the gunk being suspended in the water column.

Have one of what?

As for today, I was feeding and wasn’t happy seeing the buildup in the sandbed. Blew it all out and raked through the sand.
Moved the powerheads to what looks to be a more satisfying flow. Used the smaller powerhead to blow out gunk from the rocks and set things up to view the flow with all the gunk being suspended in the water column.

I meant the anthias but at this point just something that swims would be great [emoji23].

Was it just bits of masstick on the sand bed or was it algae from using the masstick?

It’s gunk if who uneaten food and poop from who knows when. Every system has low flow areas where stuff will build up. The goal is to minimize these areas, but impossible to prevent.
The issue in this system is how low flow it is for the entire sandbed. One of the downfalls of black sand is how much this gunk stands out. I might not ever have a pristine sandbed look, but I’ll easily see what I need to do.

Been some time since I’ve had a chance to update.
Things are stressful due to personal junk going on. My tank is reflecting this.
The gold hammer is trying to polyp bail out and the new scoly tissue is receding.
Woke up today and one female anthias is dead and the copperband wasn’t to be seen.
I started attempting to regain control a couple of days ago and completed an estimated 20 gallon water change. There is another large batch mixing as we speak, but the 3 12 hour night shifts in a row has held me back from ensuring proper salinity. Tomorrow I’ll make sure it’s correct and get that moving.

So hard.

I lost 3 fish to what I only guess was a salinity issue and that was so sad and depressing. It is too bad human stuff gets in the way of the tanks. Work is so inconvenient.

I do have an ato, though I do not like the one on this system like I did my jbj. I’m referring to the difficulty in actual tank maintenance and managing water change water during those days.
Also found this guy hiding on the side of my system. I was a polite host and offered him dinner...of half a needle full of aiptasia-x.
IMG_1577.jpg

Well, I couldn't help myself. I'm slowly working on getting things into a place where I'm content with them. I ended up loosing the golden hammer wall and moved the scoly in an attempt to assist with the tissue recession. The scoly confuses me since it has great inflation and extension after lights out. Not sure what its problem is.
BUT, one coral I always wanted was a walking dendro. I found one on saltwaterfish.com. So, one is coming my direction. I ended up grabbing one of those, a new copperband, some blue sympodium, and a fromia starfish.

Temptation and finding what you want - okay combination if it has to do with SW tanks, lol!

Did the little Aiptasia friend enjoy his last supper?

It appears so. I'll know as time goes on if it did the trick. I've thought I got them before only to show back up a week or two later. Everything is time and patience.

Quick update.
I lost another female anthias. I noticed it breathing heavy yesterday and figured that was the route it was headed. I had missed feeding during my 3 days of worked 12s and believe that and the caused bullying from the male lead down that path.
I put a drag plug in to get the rastas to grow onto. The growth of them is been amazing and I have a ton of them.
I also have an order coming in. A new copperband, my favorite blue sympodium, and something I always wanted...a walking dendro. Pretty excited about it as it puts my love of dendros and similar along with things that occupy the sandbed. Since my sandbed is pretty solid, I’m confident in the ability to keep a peanut worm alive.
I also picked this up for 15. It’s pretty happy to be out of there.
IMG_1608.jpg

That Walking Dendro sounds really interesting.

Today I saw a really cool creature and I just can't remember the name. It lives in the sand bed with its foot attached and needs a deep sand bed. Like a tubular coral covered with little one inch long polyps which when the thing puffs up a couple times a day it feeds and extends to 8-12 inches and then retracts to a little 1" diameter 4" long brownish thing that looks like a slug when it digests it (maybe). It Needed a 100G tank so was a no go for me.

Sea pens are pretty neat, though I’ve never heard of them being kept in home aquariums.
As for the walking dendro, they are amazingly interesting. It should be a red head that will move around the tank. Most movement is during lights out, but might move such behavior into lights on time like my conch did.

Back
Top Bottom