Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again [emoji14] Been there man.. maddening.. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Sucks there is nothing on the web you can trouble shoot it??

There is little to no information out there on troubleshooting. I've got it to where the water level in the sump is stabilized, now just need to add some more to get it where it needs to be.
The whole thing is straight frightening as I did discover my one mistake. I didn't check for plumb on the sides. Tilts a small amount to the front. This is ensuring the water level is at the overhang and was freaking me out. I got over it and gave it more water.
NOW is simply getting everything tuned in. I dislike the diaphragm they use to adjust the flow into the sump. Would have been much easier doing a valve after the return pump. Even though the return feeds the skimmer as well, could have restricted after the T off. Would only have meant more water for the skimmer.
So, now I'm stuck trying to adjust the diaphragm so that it's silent without cutting the flow to the sump itself, then starving the return and causing the overwhelmed bubbles in the display.
I have yet to get the skimmer going. It runs. Last night it produced bubbles for me. Today it only gives water. Probably have to take it apart too.
All in all, my frustration aside this has gone over pretty well. It would have been much more streamlined of a process with clearer instructions and simply more information about possible issues, even if it was for me to relax and keep adding water.
Currently salinity is sitting at 1.028. More water to go in will bring that down. The two cobalt heaters are doing well. They take time to get to temp but it's smooth sailing once there. Really glad BRS videos existed for comparison. Was an even bigger help in making the decision.
So, once to temp, just waiting on the powder brown and to start transporting the other tank.
Image1495814170.261569.jpg

Indeed. The poor man's Achilles. So much better looking than the powder blue. I can't say it isn't a beautiful fish, but don't know why the blue is more popular than the brown when people go nuts over the Achilles.

Indeed. The poor man's Achilles. So much better looking than the powder blue. I can't say it isn't a beautiful fish, but don't know why the blue is more popular than the brown when people go nuts over the Achilles.

I like the browns better too but I'm a white cheek kinda guy. Achilles is the dream though!
Looks like a nice healthy fish! Hope he does well for you

He should. Once I get home it's time to gear up to move the 55. Then he'll get to meet the purple.

Hopefully they'll be ok both moving into a brand new tank. Im sure there will be some fighting but at least they're different genus' of tangs.

Sometimes simple is better?? That thing is going to look bad a when it is all done up! Is that black sand I spy??

Hey there!

Looking great and interested to see how the fish do. Congrats (other than the normal installation frustration), looks to be an amazing tank.

my fish would love to have all them hiding places , tank is looking awesome one day Ill go bigger , once one of the upstairs bedrooms is vacant again

Well, though everything is moved in everything is pretty stressed from the move. Much more flow, didn't have time to do proper acclimation. Here's hoping that things all turn out well. All of the fish have a 'spot' where they stay near/around. All near the bottom of the tank. The powder brown has adjusted much better and is out swimming. So far nothing goes very high up in the tank, most likely due to high flow.
Still haven't got the skimmer running. Now that I'm officially moved I hope to get the pump apart directly.
Was finally able to get the overflow tuned in correctly. System is basically silent now.

Side note. Through everything I made a mistake. On a whim checked salinity. 1.034. Pulled 4 gallons out of the system and working on fresh ro/do as one of my aquarium buckets has vanished. Getting salinity in check through my own hurry and miscalculation should show improvement, hopefully before it's too late as the Orange monti is bleaching, toadstools are mad, and the hammer and frogspawn are very retracted.
Oddly enough, everything else is only showing minor signs of stress.

Toadstool's seem to be exceptionally fussy to changes huh? I'm noticing that..

Mostly alk swings. I might have straight melted the one. I'm just waiting to see what all recovers. I wouldn't be upset at a loss of a toadstool...the gold hammer and frogspawn are a different story. I already think the frogspawn is gone, but can still see tissue of the tentacles in the hammer during lights on this morning.
Also a good sight as the purple tang and clown were out and about while I was getting ready for work. The powder is still going as well, just more shy since the salinity issue and the addition of the purple.

Several days...3 maybe? I finally got the salinity where I wanted it last night. I had it there yesterday, though high at 1.028 again, where corals started showing signs of life. I filled up my ATO and went to work. I went home and started looking things over...and my sump was low. Here I didn't open the valve for the ATO to do it's job...so the salinity hit 1.029. Opened the valve and removed more water.
The fish being out and about is a good sign, just a stupid mistake made in a rush. All of this has prevented the disassembly of the 55, which is sitting dark in my former residence with maybe 20 gallons left in the system. It needs parted out and sold.

Good thing that u can drop salinity quicker than raising it (if what I have read is true)

Is that everything transferred from your 55 now? The powder browns are beautiful fish. I agree don't know why people prefer the blue

Back
Top Bottom