Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a really hard question. Everytime I start looking in the SW section my eyes turn into the saucers of Christmas' long, long ago and I just gaze in amazement. Sorry I am no help. ;)

Yeah, there are so much going on I wish I had more time for TLC of my tank. I want a new scrubber for the system. I'm thinking about the "Rain2 algae scrubber" if I end up switching out the skimmers. I simply haven't been able to get the stock one to produce, but never got the pump apart either. I do have the reef octopus in my basement that I can switch it out for. If that happens, I'll be able to feed right into the scrubber from what was the skimmer's feed pipe.
Going to Erie tomorrow with the wife. Unsure if I'll stop into any stores for fish stuff.

Looks like it's chugging right along !! ,....adding new stuff is always an awesome time ,...[emoji106]

This is the skimmer I tried to strap onto the 55 with no success. Pretty plug and play on a larger system... Just glad to see skimming happening on the system. I'm chugging along making enough water for the system's first water change.

Quick picture update. Added a bicolor blenny and two frags to the system. Two favia. Hoping things turn out well. IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0943.jpgIMG_0944.jpgIMG_0945.jpg

The maxima clam is trying its best. The sandbed hasn't fully settled still and it's fallen over a couple times. The tangs like to feed off its shell as well. Some bleaching, but response time is good and no pinched or retracted mantle. Keeping hopes up. Derasa chilling doing its thing.

Careful with the bicolor, I had a friend whose went berserk and started nipping corals and clams. Idk how much I trust any blennies other than the algae ones anymore as I had a flametail who would nip clams as well.

I was kinda wary, but that behavior is supposed to be from not getting fed enough. I'm literally dumping food into this system compared to the 55. Daily mysis and algae on top of the diatoms and filament algae that covers the glass and the newer rock pieces. There is a ton to eat.

Maybe an acrylic taco holder for the clam! ;)

Looking good Favia are nice. Thanks for lotsa Clam pics! What is the smallest "starter size" Clam you have kept?

If only on the clam holder. They make little ones made from rock, but I'm not a fan of anything that would prevent an animal from moving to somewhere it would be happier. It'd be like gluing an anemone to a rock. The clam wouldn't be able to turn or once it gets so big, maybe not even open fully. Fatal things to clams.

If only on the clam holder. They make little ones made from rock, but I'm not a fan of anything that would prevent an animal from moving to somewhere it would be happier. It'd be like gluing an anemone to a rock. The clam wouldn't be able to turn or once it gets so big, maybe not even open fully. Fatal things to clams.

That is good to know. Storing up all the good info for the future (maybe clam) :)

Yeah, I've seen those before. Those ones don't look too bad. Others that I've seen look like they would be restrictive. Though neat, it still doesn't mean the clam won't decide to turn itself in the opposite direction. I'd take that thing and flip it over for a flat disk for it to sit on.

Enterprising people everywhere already thought it up a few times over, it seems. :) Thought is was a good idea. Since I haven't had a clam yet, I am going off of theory -you would have a better sense of what it needs.

Sense of such and being able to apply the concepts are different things. Hopefully success comes this time around.
In other news, just got confirmation that my new ATS has been shipped. Got it from Santa Monica Filtration. I decided on the Rain 2 model they sell. Pricey, but I won't have to build another one...big plus.

Back
Top Bottom