so confused about PH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I must be batman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the LFS today to get my water tested and they said everything looked fine except the ammonia, which was a little high. But then I bought an API master test kit today so I went home and tested it again. The PH was 8.0, ammonia was .25, nitrite and nitrate both 0. What is the PH supposed to be? What about the rest of them? I have 5 mollies, 4 tetras, and 2 baby plecos. I'm so very confused.

pH is the acidity of the water. Each fish prefers a certain level of pH but most will adjust to whatever you give them quickly.

Your ph should be whatever comes out of your tap water.

Most fish will adapt to whatever your natural water parameters are. You current stock will be fine, though 8 is a fairly high PH level.

I'd be more concerned that you have ammonia in your tank.

You should probably do extra PWC everyday until the tank stabalizes.

As soon as you can, get yourself an API liquid test kit for home use. It will help you keep your fish happy and healthy :)

IMO for a community tank a tank with 7.5 ph is fine.

Are u in the process of cycling your tank?

How many gallons is the tank?

I went to the LFS today to get my water tested and they said everything looked fine except the ammonia, which was a little high. But then I bought an API master test kit today so I went home and tested it again. The PH was 8.0, ammonia was .25, nitrite and nitrate both 0. What is the PH supposed to be? What about the rest of them? I have 5 mollies, 4 tetras, and 2 baby plecos. I'm so very confused.

Are you cycled?

Ammo should come down thru PWC, and no2 should always be 0ppm, but without any n03, it sounds like you're not completely cycled IMO.

Ph is what it is and as long as it's stable (constant) you're OK.

Its a 45g tank, I've only been cycling it for about a week, but I did put some seachem stability in there for 7 days (but from what I've read on here I doubt it did any good). I tested my tap waters ph too. It was 7.6.

Many fish can survive the process, but they often will not live as long as they would have if they hadn't been exposured to ammonia and nitrite poisoning in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom