So many kind of calcium, how to decide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enginbeering

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all, what kind of calcium do you guys reccomend for dosing a 55 gal reef tank with?(ie, powder form, 2 part additive, etc..)
Second, what brand does everybody reccomend?
Also, what's the deal with strontium. Is it at all necessary, and do I need to take it into account when dosing my tank?

Thanks for your help.

I use Kent's Turbo Calcium and Kent's Superbuffer dKh. Not sold as a two part system, but it's the two componets you need.

I am, however, having issues hitting and keeping 3 meq/L of alk, and can't clear 350ppm of calcium. I just need to remember to dose daily!

thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible to use Kent's Turbo Calcium by itself? or is the buffer necessary?

There are all these calcium products that have descriptions containing phrases such as:"Strontium addition via use of Kent Marine Strontium & Molybdenum Supplement is absolutely necessary." Which makes me wonder if there is a certain kind of calcium that has everything I need. I like the idea about calcium+3, but im leery about iodine dosing (especially because I have no pulsing xenia to use the stuff anyway).

I feel like i know about the chemistry of calcium dosing, but Im afraid that I'm being manipulated by intricate marketing schemes. I'd be interested in other people's opinions.

ca / alk are important. I would go with kalk mix if you want a sort of '1 shot cures all' in the ca dept. However, when dosing ca its important to remember that mg acts as a sort of buffer for ca. Your mg levels should run 3 x the amount of ca (ex most folks run around 400 - 450 ppm ca, your desired mg level would be 1350 ppm which is very close to nsw) Letting the mg slip can cause ca depression and alk issues. ca/alk/mg and ph are your major concerns. Falling in right behind them are sr and ki. These are 2 very popular trace elements believed to help corals grow in a closed system. Since they are present in very small amounts, it is believed they are easily skimmed or filtered out and therefore must be replinished on a regular basis. Only testing with good quality test kits will lead you where your tank needs you to go. Some folks have great success with little or no additives..others, like me, test on a regular basis and adjust accordingly. I have never heard of Calcium +3 (Sounds too good to be true) but I will be looking into. Lotta folks use the b ionic type additives which is a 2 part system that you dose in equal amounts. Alledgedly they provide proper balance between ca/alk/mg. This method is probably closest to fool proof, but from what I have read expensive long term. I use kalk (Main tank) for ca/alk and dose mg, ki, sr as needed. I use reef complete (Seachem) in my 29G 'frag' tank.

hth
GL!

you can make your own two part additive for about one tenth the cost of what can be bought at the lfs. i wouldnt worry about the iodine in the ca3 from kent your skimmer will remove it pretty fast alot of other things in the tank use the iodine. if your doing regular water changes all the stuff you need is right there. i would say less is more unless there is a problem. we all fall prey to the hype.....

Back
Top Bottom