So many opinions, need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady_Alia said:
Lol yeah ur a dead man...but at least you'll die happy! lol

Haha true!! So &@%#¥! Aggravated!! Ugh!! Bought the Rena 300 and the tubing that looks like vines and it doesn't fit. The tubbing is different sizes. An the check valve and stone are broke!! UGH!! Going back now. The Rena is better then the Whisper?

KonvictKeeper said:
You bought another filter? A canister? Why?

I bought the aqua clear 110 after getting many many opinions and I also bought an air stone.

As my friend that owns the fish store told me when we were picking out stock. He said your a little overstocked so figured the added filtration wouldn't hurt... I'm happy with the way the whole tank turned out! Fish,filters,air stone and all!! :)

Now it's time to sit back, relax and enjoy my friends. I hope they like what I did for them today.

View attachment 60990

Last edited:
if you are running an air stone it wouldn't hurt the add a sponge to it.

Convict2161 said:
I'm unaware... Please explain.

Im referring to a sponge filter. I figure if you've a pump and air stone for the tank then attaching that to a sponge filter will add some backup filtration. It wouldn't have to be huge so you can hide one in your decor.

xander said:
Im referring to a sponge filter. I figure if you've a pump and air stone for the tank then attaching that to a sponge filter will add some backup filtration. It wouldn't have to be huge so you can hide one in your decor.

Oh ok got it... Will look into it.

If you want to use a sponge filter, just buy one. They only run about ten bucks. It is one of the cheapest things you could possible add to the tank, no need to cheap out and make an ugly one, 'hidden' in the tank or not.

Fishguy2727 said:
If you want to use a sponge filter, just buy one. They only run about ten bucks. It is one of the cheapest things you could possible add to the tank, no need to cheap out and make an ugly one, 'hidden' in the tank or not.

What are the benefits of running a sponge filter along with my 2 HOB filters?

Also that video is wrong it would cost more to make that one then to buy one. Just go buy the air pump and hose, already spent more

I personally do not think it makes a difference except you always have an ugly sponge filter in the tank. If you have enough filtration you have enough. One idea is that if the filters stop running but the air pump doesn't, you still have actual filtration. The problem is that if the HOBs are a better environment for the bacteria (which they are) all the bacteria will be there and very little (effectively none) will be in the sponge filter. With two real filters it is unlikely both will randomly die at the same time anyways. Like I have stated, the air stones along can save the tank (for a week or more), no need for a sponge filter.

Hobgob said:
Also that video is wrong it would cost more to make that one then to buy one. Just go buy the air pump and hose, already spent more

If you already have a pump I guess it would be cheaper bc then you could just split air off into it. Like I did to add the additional filtration.

joejeff said:
If you already have a pump I guess it would be cheaper bc then you could just split air off into it. Like I did to add the additional filtration.

Yes agreed but when you find your sponge. How did you no it was aquarium safe? And what it make the filter more effective if the holes were only in the sponge and the curler tapered? You would probably have to find something else to use but this way water would only get sucked in threw the sponge and the bubbles have smaller hole to squeeze through creating more suction IMO.

Hobgob said:
Yes agreed but when you find your sponge. How did you no it was aquarium safe? And what it make the filter more effective if the holes were only in the sponge and the curler tapered? You would probably have to find something else to use but this way water would only get sucked in threw the sponge and the bubbles have smaller hole to squeeze through creating more suction IMO.

W/o the curler would probably be better imo. I read some stuff and went w a brand another guy used. I don't think I would try the car sponge... But it may wrk... The plastic tube makes it easier. It's just a cheapo solution and a way to make use of equipment most already have.

Back
Top Bottom