Solo fish for 20 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cichlids from lake Malawi or Tanganyika with the exception of shell dwellers do not belong in any tank that is under 4' do to the fact that they are very active and require a good amount of swimming room.

Ok thanks I will keep that in mind. I have never had cichlids before and am having a hard time researching them. Would African Butterfly Cichlids be ok? Anomalochromis thomasi. I would like a fish that could not look too small in the tank though it is probably impossible and unhealthy. Any kind of fish that is colorful and active on its own would be great!

Have you considered Angelfish.? I loved my angel fish, they were just gorgeous. The other fish hardly got any attention with my big angelfish swimming around the tank.

User said:
Ok thanks I will keep that in mind. I have never had cichlids before and am having a hard time researching them. Would African Butterfly Cichlids be ok? Anomalochromis thomasi. I would like a fish that could not look too small in the tank though it is probably impossible and unhealthy. Any kind of fish that is colorful and active on its own would be great!

A pair of Anomalochromis thomasi should actually be ok just provide lots of caves and hiding places. I always forget about Thomasi, they only need a 30" tank with 20-25 gallon capacity.

Have you considered Angelfish.? I loved my angel fish, they were just gorgeous. The other fish hardly got any attention with my big angelfish swimming around the tank.
definitly too big for a 20

GuppyLover said:

29 gallon is the smallest tank for a angle.

Dont Angels need tall tanks as well? Mine is only a 20 gal long. I am going to do more research on the African Butterfly Cichlid as well.

User said:
Dont Angels need tall tanks as well? Mine is only a 20 gal long. I am going to do more research on the African Butterfly Cichlid as well.

Thought it was a tall, got it mixed with a old thread I was reading.

German rams are a dwarf cichlid you should be able to get at you local pet store, they are beautiful and would be fine alone. Might be one to consider.

German rams are a dwarf cichlid you should be able to get at you local pet store, they are beautiful and would be fine alone. Might be one to consider.

I read they are hard to take care of and I am only a beginner. The lfs that has them near me is 2 hours away. My water has a very high pH (near 8.0) and I think they need a much lower pH than that? I really like them though!

Another ram that could be in there would be a bolivian ram:)

How can you tell if they are different? I think I read that those are more hardy and look the same? The place is called that pet place, they have a website as well.

User said:
How can you tell if they are different? I think I read that those are more hardy and look the same? The place is called that pet place, they have a website as well.

You are in PA the right? I'm on my phone so I cant see location. You could be in the opposite direction but Diane's Discount Pets has them. That Pet Place is a hour and a half from me.

What do you mean by 'tell if they are different'? Do you mean tell the GBR and bolivians are different. Just look at the pictures, they look very different IMO. I've read that they are hardier too, thats why I might get some for my 55 gallon

Didnt research bolivians and just assumed they looked the same. Sorry! I will look for them too. Nope I am in New jersey. It is two hours away from me but has a lot of selection on their online store. Is it good? Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the name they give

User said:
Didnt research bolivians and just assumed they looked the same. Sorry! I will look for them too. Nope I am in New jersey. It is two hours away from me but has a lot of selection on their online store. Is it good? Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the name they give

That Pet Place has really nice fish and most (Not the teenagers who have no idea what they are talking about) of the staff is very knowledgeable. Never have any sick or diseased fish.

Here's a website for them:
Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus
And here's a few pictures
attachment.php
BolivianRams_pair.jpg

If I remember right Serevum Mama and HN1 have some for sale for $8 each with like $7-10 shipping. They'd be a good place to get them. That's where I want to get them:)

Back
Top Bottom