Some More (Fancy) Goldfish Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is the HOB filtration I have okay for keeping four (small as of right now, but definitely growing) Fancy Goldies of the Red Cap Oranda, Black (now Gold) Moor and Common Fantail variety in a 60 gallon? I'm running an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, good for some 325 gallons per hour of turnover, plus an AquaClear 110, good for some 500 rated gallons per hour of turnover, which gives me a total of more than 800GPH; I totally understand the theory behind the fact that once media pieces are introduced to HOBs (and canisters I believe too) this "gallon per hour" rating can be reduced somewhat, but I just wanted to know if off the cuff, this filtration is adequate...

I'm also running two 18" bubble bars powered by Top Fin's biggest air pump, the AIR-8000 model, and these bars are SPITTING out the bubbles...so oxygen and Co2 exchange isn't a problem...

Also -- am I at my stocking limit for a 60 gallon with Fancy Goldies? As I stated, right now I have four, two of which are juviniles on the small side and two -- a maturing Red Cap Oranda and a Black Moor -- that are larger than small, but I'd say not quite "medium" sized either. Should I just let these guys mature in this tank without adding any additional fish? I know the Fancies are known to get really big...:blink::blink::fish1:

I know I had some more questions about these beautiful, often mistreated and misunderstood creatures of the Orient...but I can't recall at this very moment; I'll update the thread as I remember them!

Thank you, everyone! :thanks:

From what I've gleaned from the forums, 60g should be plenty for four goldies for at least a few years. Too, your filtering sounds more than adequate.

I have a 46g with two 2yo shubunkins, four 6mo shubunkins, and four 6mo goldies, using an older Whisper Secondnature dual pad filter (not sure on GPH, guessing around 300) and I have not had any problems with water quality so long as I keep the pads swapped out (they fill up fast with that many fish) and do my monthly vacuum.

Hope that helps.

I think your filtration is sufficient as well. The tank is fully stocked I'm afraid even though it doesn't seem that way now; the fish will grow. :)

The fantail will probably get a whole lot bigger than you think. I'd look at a small pond for it - outside your house. Make it really cool small water feature.

And yes, you are currently fully stocked.

Back
Top Bottom