Some platies and mollies not doing so well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I just joined and you might have read my last post. Anyways, the main reason I joined today is because of my fish. You see, I have a 60 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium full of about 45 different paties, mollies, swordtails, guppies, tetras, and a gourami. I noticed a few were dying recently and I went to check out the problem. Turns out, my tank has come down with "Ich", and I am treating that now. I turned the heat up to about 86 degrees fahrenheit, I put about 6 tablespoons of aquarium salt after each 20% water change I do every other day, and also everyday I add in some Kordon's Ich Attack treatment. Does it sound like I have everything under control? Also-I noticed today one of my silver lyretail mollies has a terrible looking brownish hue on its rain, almost looks like decaying skin. Also his gills turned very grey and doesn't seem to swim right. He also had a bad case of Ich. Also now one of my female Platies has a lot of brownish looking spots on her scales-much larger than the size of what Ich looks like, but she also had Ich very bad too, and still has some white spots on her. As for the rest of my tank, my other fish seem okay, but some have the white spots of Ich on them and some of my Red Minor Tetras fins are somewhat ripped and some have a very white edge to them, is this normal for Red Minors? Also some of my guppies have a black hue edging their tails. Can anyone diagnose these symptoms? And how to cure my very ill tank? I have had the tank a little over a year and nothing had a problem until the Ich started...probably because of a new fish I put in. Also my water parameters are:
Ammonia: around 0-.25 ppm Nitrite: 0 ppm Nitrate: 5.0 ppm pH:7.5-8 ppm. Note these results were taken yesterday. Anything you can do to help? Thanks you for reading and God bless!

Last edited:
Also---all my fish are around 2" to 3", and I am using a Penguin 350 hang-on filter for my tank. The only new things I have added to the tank is I have started using the Ich-Attack, started adding salt after each water change, and using some pH neutralizers and detoxifiers...I am using Prime and another Seachem brand.

Back
Top Bottom