Something in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandLocked

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I have noticed little white swimming things in my sump. Could they maybe ghost shrimp, I had a couple with eggs like 2 weeks ago. They are super quick and maybe around the size of a grain of table salt. Sorta looks like a long body with 2 tiny rounder things at one end. They are extremely twitchy.

Today I have noticed little white swimming things in my sump. Could they maybe ghost shrimp, I had a couple with eggs like 2 weeks ago. They are super quick and maybe around the size of a grain of table salt. Sorta looks like a long body with 2 tiny rounder things at one end. They are extremely twitchy.

Those sound like Copepods.
image-3040991544.jpg
Since they are in your sump, they should be able to proliferate in the absence of fish. Hopefully some will get sucked into the return pump and be served up as a treat in the main tank.

Those sound like Copepods.

Since they are in your sump, they should be able to proliferate in the absence of fish. Hopefully some will get sucked into the return pump and be served up as a treat in the main tank.

Yep, I could see that being exactly what they are. I was going to say they have a mickey mouse shape and thats what the pics shows. Do I dump them or put them back in the display to let something (Gourami) eat them. I need to read up now to see what is causing them. Thank you.
Edit Quick read shows that I'll be putting a sponge on my canister out line from the sump and then add a second pump with and open intake that will hopefully be my Copepod pump to take them up top. Thanks for the quick advice, got worried it was already going bad but I see people actually breed them.

Consider yourself fortunate for a built in food source and thumbs up for the modification for getting them into the main tank.

Found another "something" in my sump. They look like tiny fish maybe 1/16" long. I don't think I had any pregnant fish but maybe I guess. I can see at least 5 and they do swim but also appear to hold on the side like a pleco, I can see the current making the tail move but the head stays put. I can see a dark spot at the head area a dark spot at what I would guess is the stomach and a clear tail. Is this just another water bug or could it be fry from ???? After trying a bunch I can't get a picture, water marks, flash, iphone cam, they are tiny...
Anyone have a direction I should look.

Found another "something" in my sump. They look like tiny fish maybe 1/16" long. I don't think I had any pregnant fish but maybe I guess. I can see at least 5 and they do swim but also appear to hold on the side like a pleco, I can see the current making the tail move but the head stays put. I can see a dark spot at the head area a dark spot at what I would guess is the stomach and a clear tail. Is this just another water bug or could it be fry from ???? After trying a bunch I can't get a picture, water marks, flash, iphone cam, they are tiny...
Anyone have a direction I should look.

They sound like albino brain chiggers be very careful and done sleep in the same room as them

I don't thin they would albino, maybe regular cause I can see some darkness.
Zebra and gold danio
Opaline and some dwarf gourami
A redtailed shark
And last night I put in 2 crayfish, they was in a tank with plecos, I had them in a specimen container then netted them into the tank, hitch hiker maybe?. I'm new to this so maybe a fish ways preg and I didn't notice. Crayfish are the only new addition for over 2 weeks.

Could be or maybe a dwarf gourami? Never seen their fry but if you have males and females its possible. I would just leave it and see what happens. Make sure it doesnt get in the tank incase it is dangerous but it could grow into a nice fish. If it doesnt grow or multiply you could just leave it or get rid of it.

I don't thin they would albino, maybe regular cause I can see some darkness.
Zebra and gold danio
Opaline and some dwarf gourami
A redtailed shark
And last night I put in 2 crayfish, they was in a tank with plecos, I had them in a specimen container then netted them into the tank, hitch hiker maybe?. I'm new to this so maybe a fish ways preg and I didn't notice. Crayfish are the only new addition for over 2 weeks.

I'm thinking they are danio fry. After hatching and becoming mobile, the fry often cling to the sides of the tank.
Give them a week or so and they should be free swimming.

So you guys would let it play out until a more accurate id can be made, works for me. I was poking around with a led flash light and maybe I can start to see some shinny design starting down the upper backside, still to small to get a good look. Watch, turns out they are just my first skeeters of the year ;)

Back
Top Bottom