Sore about gas prices REad on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let's hit them where they are trying to hit us. IN THE WALLET.

WHERE TO BUY YOUR GAS,

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON--

Why didn't George W. think of this?
Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods.
We should return the favor.
An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil :

These companies buy the most Middle Eastern Oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Citgo................0 barrels
Sunoco............0 barrels
Conoco............0 barrels
Sinclair............0 barrels
BP/Phillips.......0 barrels
Hess................0 barrels ARC0...............0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

I, for one, only purchase from BP. But if I go to my parents house, I get it from my dad. He buys it from Gateway FS who in turn is trying to set a trend by getting their gas from crops. I don't exactly remember which one it is. He's a farmer, not me. I'm a city chick. :D Never did like the country/farmer living.

I guess thats cool if you have any of those stations near by. Not all of those are national chains.
I usually go to Chevron for the techron :wink: . I would love to boycott the middle east as well as China, but thats pretty much impossible these days.
I am boycotting India in a way, by trying not to buy any products where there tech-support is in India. Especiall freakin HP 0X

What is with everyone outsourcing to India?! Don't these companies realize that we can REALLY tell the difference between speaking to someone from India and someone from Texas? Back in January I had a problem with my internet connection. I am using Juno and of course, to use their tech support you have to pay $2 per minute. That's a bunch of crap there, but that's a whole other thread. Anyways. So I am connected to someone in another country, I believe India. It took me 20 minutes to figure out a simple problem because I couldn't udnerstand him and he couldn't understand me. So I get ripped out of $40 because they had to outsource to a county that doesn't speak the same language! AND, the company refused to refund my money.

No offense, I am all for people immigrating to this country. Heck, my grandparents came over from Germany in WWII. I just have a problem with calling tech support for Sony and being transfered to someone that does not speak the language clearly and I end up just tossing the product and buying from a company that doesn't outsource. So far, I haven't had to speak to an outsourced techie from Dell yet. I hope I don't ever have to. And don't even get me started on HP or Gateway. OH MAN. I'd be kicked out of this forum for voicing an opinion on them.

Before I just had my little rant session I yelled down to James and told him to stop buying from Shell. We are going to definately be boycotting the Saudi's.

I heard ADT was monitoring their alarms in India now.
now thats scary

good link skydvr. I think I'll boycott all the oil producing countries and ride a razor scooter everywhere :mrgreen:

You want to stop using so much oil?

1. Drive less

2. Realize that you too can survive without an SUV

3. Stop buying so much stuff!!! Every single thing, from the "needed" cellphone to all the "needed" toys--all the wants that we "need" take energy to make. And where do you think all that energy comes from?

How do you think plastic is made?

Shose companies that supposedly dont get gas from the middle east. Where do they get it from? My understanding that the domestic oil production is very limited and I doubt there is a gas company that is 100% domestic.

fishfreek said:
Shose companies that supposedly dont get gas from the middle east. Where do they get it from? My understanding that the domestic oil production is very limited and I doubt there is a gas company that is 100% domestic.
Read the snopes article above. (scroll down PAST the copy of the email. There is a TON of legitimate information on that article that explains things quite clearly.

Shawmut: all I have to say is, *DING!* :wink: (as in I agree)

Justmy2cents: My learning experience was after I blasted a "donation" email to my entire college campus (including some printers and accounts no-one was supposed to know existed) just to find out 2 minutes after the mass mailing finished, I received a "Retratction" in my email from the person I got the original email from... Since then.. My basic rule of thumb... don't believe anything you get in email if it doesn't link back to legitimate news sites with informaiton I can verify myself. It's actualy become a bit of a pet peve of mine. Any time I get one of these things at work I try and reply with the facts as quickly as possible to stop the mass forwarding I know is going on!

Any time I get one of these things at work I try and reply with the facts as quickly as possible to stop the mass forwarding I know is going on!
I do the same and try real hard to not to be sarcastic in my reply (quit spamming me!!!). I used to work with a guy who had a form letter saved for replies to such emails.

The gas one has made it's rounds several times. But you can't always trust snopes either. They've been wrong on more than one occasion.

I may be mistaken, but I think we get most of our imported oil from Venezuela. There was a big stink about us supporting/not supporting one of their political figures and they were going to slow down exported oil to us. I remember reading something about that in the last 6 months or so.

As far as I'm concerned, domestic oil should be stockpiled and nothing else. We import while the funds exist to do so and store our own for a rainy day (and by rainy day I mean no ability to import from outside sources). Another way of saying it; Don't get high on your own supply. - Frank Lopez in Scarface.

As far as India tech support...

We use Dell for our computing platform. Their tech support was all in India. Then businesses said "We can't understand a word they're saying." And thus customer service was at an appalling level. The businesses decided to start migrating to other platforms and informed Dell of their intentions. Dell decided to open callcenters in Canada and Idaho (and maybe one other state but I can't remember where) to take care of businesses. Although the masses of non-business Dell owners still have to call India for help.

Why call India? Because they can pay an Indian guy $3 an hour to read from a script on a screen instead of paying a native English speaker $15-20 an hour to do the same.

Just a side note: BP and Amoco are a merged company now. :wink:

PS. Who has the highest gas prices? I know its not here, but 2.19 a gallon is horrible!!

we're pushing 2.25-2.35 a gallon depending on what station/neighborhood your in.

Just my 2 cents on gas right now.

Just so everyone knows, gas is at approx $58/barrel right now. Last week it went up approx $1.50/barrel, which caused gas to jump approx $0.30 (in my area - Ohio)!!

So why did it jump? Goldman Sachs published a report that said that they are expecting an oil "superspike period", and it will peak out at $104/barrel!! Other companies have said it's not true, however this is what's causing the currently high prices.

-brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom